Scissor Beak

Dragonfly Farm

Chirping
Aug 11, 2020
Hi Gang-
I have just rejoined BYC because one of my new girls has a severe scissor beak. We have six Buff Orps, they are now nearly three months old. This girl eats fairly well-I make a slurry of crumbles and add a couple of scoops of canned puppy food (Rx by a vet). Today I offered her some raisins I had soaked in hot water so they were squishy-She went wild for them. I basically squashed them under the top beak and her little tongue did the rest. She's smaller than her sisters but they are good to her and surprisingly, don't hassle her when she eats. I have trimmed her beaks with large nail clippers which was pretty simple, just like doing dog and cat toe nails...careful not to get the quick. I'll try to post a pic. Anybody have further thoughts for me? She's not living in the house (yet) but I do feed her 3xday...
IMG_3987.jpeg

Welcome to BYC. You are doing the things such as trimming the beak, and feeding wet feed that is usually recommended for a chick with cross beak. Feeding out of a bowl with high sides, and using a nipple waterer are some other suggestions I have read. I would also keep the same waterer available that your chickens are used to. Hopefully, she will continue to thrive. Here is some reading about scissors beak chickens:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it/

Back
Top Bottom