Scored a "coop" on craigslist...need suggestions and advice on modifications

SunHwaKwon

Crowing
6 Years
Jul 19, 2015
North Central Florida
I am REALLY excited right now! My keets are three and a half weeks old and I will be trading a few for some two week old chicks (some sort of mix between bantam, silkie, and/or buff orpington as that is what the neighbor free ranges) and I have been wracking my head over how I am going to come up with an affordable housing solution for everyone. After typing in "lumber" on craigslist today, I found this for $250:

The shed part is 6x6 and the deck adds another 2 1/2 feet. It's 6' tall at the peak and elevated about 4'. It certainly needs a few repairs and modifications but its built very sturdy and I know I can do what I need to with it.

Here is the pen that I will use for my run:

My intention is to put the playhouse on the north side of the pen, which is the side nearest the garage. I was thinking of unhooking one side of the chain link and attaching it to one side of the playhouse and then enclosing the rest of the space underneath the "coop" to add that space as more run area. The birds will be in the run during the day while we are gone and then free range when we are home in the evenings and on the weekends. I hope to have my guineas locked in the coop each night along with the chickens and my lone goose (who free ranges all day) but we'll see how that works out!

I have 2 windows in my attic that I have not measured yet but look to be about 2'x3' so I'd like to put those on it as well as build and attach some external nest boxes to save floor space. I am also considering extending the coop square footage out onto the deck portion. I'd like to make the bigger (deck side) door taller, as right now it is a little under 4' tall. I have some sheet vinyl in my attic that I will put down on the floor, and the roof needs repairing but we have shingles that I might be able to use. If not I'm sure I can find something free or cheap. I am about to change out some of the air return registers in my house so those will come in handy, plus I have my old 10x10 and 10x16 return registers up in my attic I may be able to use. Being a little bit of a pack rat pays off sometimes lol. I really like to being able to reuse and re-purpose stuff!

Last edited:
I'm thinking you'll have to move it to your property, right? If so, it'll probably need to be disassembled some. Rather than reassembling it in the same way, it might make more sense to keep the coop part but just use all the decking as lumber to build whatever configuration of run you want.

I am REALLY excited right now! My keets are three and a half weeks old and I will be trading a few for some two week old chicks (some sort of mix between bantam, silkie, and/or buff orpington as that is what the neighbor free ranges) and I have been wracking my head over how I am going to come up with an affordable housing solution for everyone. After typing in "lumber" on craigslist today, I found this for $250: The shed part is 6x6 and the deck adds another 2 1/2 feet. It's 6' tall at the peak and elevated about 4'. It certainly needs a few repairs and modifications but its built very sturdy and I know I can do what I need to with it. Here is the pen that I will use for my run: My intention is to put the playhouse on the north side of the pen, which is the side nearest the garage. I was thinking of unhooking one side of the chain link and attaching it to one side of the playhouse and then enclosing the rest of the space underneath the "coop" to add that space as more run area. The birds will be in the run during the day while we are gone and then free range when we are home in the evenings and on the weekends. I hope to have my guineas locked in the coop each night along with the chickens and my lone goose (who free ranges all day) but we'll see how that works out! I have 2 windows in my attic that I have not measured yet but look to be about 2'x3' so I'd like to put those on it as well as build and attach some external nest boxes to save floor space. I am also considering extending the coop square footage out onto the deck portion. I'd like to make the bigger (deck side) door taller, as right now it is a little under 4' tall. I have some sheet vinyl in my attic that I will put down on the floor, and the roof needs repairing but we have shingles that I might be able to use. If not I'm sure I can find something free or cheap. I am about to change out some of the air return registers in my house so those will come in handy, plus I have my old 10x10 and 10x16 return registers up in my attic I may be able to use. Being a little bit of a pack rat pays off sometimes lol. I really like to being able to reuse and re-purpose stuff!
If you plan on putting it back up on its deck...stairs and all...the under part of the stairs would work for a goose but...add a floor and walls....cover the under side of the steps....fence in the deck below the coop...move your pen up to the side of it and attach...sand box for dusting, covered by coop so it stays relatively dry...pop door in coop floor or out the wall...stairs to access the coop....could do lots of things....but as the Talkalittle is right...it would probably make more sense to put the coop on the ground...up on blocks...and use the deck lumber for other modifications....or put the coop on the ground....take the deck frame and attach it to the coop....dismantle the stairs and use the lumber to secure the area around the base of the deck...or leave the risers in place and enclose it for the geese....lots of possibilities....when you decide and get it rebuilt...show us what you came up with!!! Be looking forward to seeing it!! Have fun!!!

I finally got to do a little work on it this weekend. Hopefully I can finish up next weekend.

I ended up hanging the south window vertically because there was already a cutout for a door and a slide already and I didn't feel like reframing and filling in the wall. With this setup I can open up the bottom glass pane and sweep all the bedding out as needed. I was debating patching the cedar roof but it looks pretty holey so I might end up doing metal, PVC , or asphalt roof panels. Doors, roof, paint, sheet vinyl, finish the nest box, cover gaps/add trim as needed...I still have a ways to go, but Monday morning those birds are of of my porch!

I didn't get it finished unfortunately but it is almost bird ready.

Human door:

Sliding bird door, an additional vent, and plexiglass on the window:

Some roofing:

I also got a lot of the little things done plus finished one partial wall that is not visible. I made the final door for the goose house but haven't hung it yet.

I got the interior painted finally and laid out some sheet vinyl that was in my attic. I thought there was a lot more up there (it was left behind by previous owners) but unfortunately I only had enough to barely cover the roost side of the coop.

After I took this picture I remembered I needed to paint the interior of the nest box, so I went ahead and painted the roosts with the same dark gray semi-gloss paint that I used in the box.

I thought about painting the floor on the newly built side since I don't have enough vinyl to cover it but the gaps in the wood are pretty big and the goose house is directly below so any bedding or excrement would be falling down into her shelter.

So, I'll be making a stop at a place we have near us that has overstock and discontinued items from other stores. I know I've seen rolls of sheet vinyl there. Hopefully it isn't too expensive (should be cheaper than Home Depot or Lowes, regardless).

In any case, the birds will be off my porch by Saturday morning. I can't wait, although I'm not really looking forward to scrubbing down the porch.

Back
Top Bottom