Scraggly 7 week old Easter Egger still not feathered...

I haven't read the whole thread, but that looks just like my SS from Meyer. MPC gets a lot of their birds from Meyer. I've seen a lot of people recently that had SS issues. My poor girl unfortunately did not make it. Here's her 6 week old pics. I have pics of her as she got older but they're on my old phone. View attachment 2415819View attachment 2415822View attachment 2415823
I'm thinking yours is a SS too. Mine was really messed up. Meyers just claimed failure to thrive, but I've seen a lot of people with SSs with retarded growth lately.
This is so sad! I hope that isn’t what is happening, but I am glad you posted so the info is out there.

This is so sad! I hope that isn’t what is happening, but I am glad you posted so the info is out there.
I hope it isn't too. Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem was. I'm guessing something genetic such as inbreeding or something. I offered a lot of vitamin supplements to her and nothing ever helped. Eventually the chickens I had integrated her and her sisters with killed her. They knew something was wrong with her from the start. They accepted her sisters readily but always stayed away from her. I started a thread about her a while ago. No one seemed to know much.

I hope it isn't too. Yeah, I'm not sure what the problem was. I'm guessing something genetic such as inbreeding or something. I offered a lot of vitamin supplements to her and nothing ever helped. Eventually the chickens I had integrated her and her sisters with killed her. They knew something was wrong with her from the start. They accepted her sisters readily but always stayed away from her. I started a thread about her a while ago. No one seemed to know much.
Oh man. I would have been so sad! I know even with good breed stock it can happen, that is how genetics rolls out sometimes. It is a shame it sounds like it is happening with some frequency though. SS are one of my dream breeds, I think they are just beautiful and they have a lovely personality reputation. The little cockerel we accidentally got in our pullet shipment was just the nicest guy, we had to rehome him due to the laws about roosters here, but he was a gem. I am pulling for the OP and her little chick. I really hope it pulls through.

Oh man. I would have been so sad! I know even with good breed stock it can happen, that is how genetics rolls out sometimes. It is a shame it sounds like it is happening with some frequency though. SS are one of my dream breeds, I think they are just beautiful and they have a lovely personality reputation. The little cockerel we accidentally got in our pullet shipment was just the nicest guy, we had to rehome him due to the laws about roosters here, but he was a gem. I am pulling for the OP and her little chick. I really hope it pulls through.
Yeah. I missed my little girl. She had such a nice personality. Too bad you had to rehome your little guy. Speckled Sussexes are so nice. I had one a few years before the messed up one, and she was amazing. My littke brother had named her Dory. Unfortunately she got eaten by a dog while we were out of town. My SSs do not have very good track records. It's sad, I loved them so much. If you have the chance to get some, go for it. They're amazing. And the fact that they're dual purpose is really cool.

Yeah. I missed my little girl. She had such a nice personality. Too bad you had to rehome your little guy. Speckled Sussexes are so nice. I had one a few years before the messed up one, and she was amazing. My littke brother had named her Dory. Unfortunately she got eaten by a dog while we were out of town. My SSs do not have very good track records. It's sad, I loved them so much. If you have the chance to get some, go for it. They're amazing. And the fact that they're dual purpose is really cool.
The guy who took him is on this site, he is planning on breeding them and I am going to have one of our little guy's offspring one day in the form of a started pullet. It will be nice to have one of his daughters one day :).

The guy who took him is on this site, he is planning on breeding them and I am going to have one of our little guy's offspring one day in the form of a started pullet. It will be nice to have one of his daughters one day :).
That is amazing!!! What a perfect solution for your little guy. And awesome you can have his offspring!!!

Back
Top Bottom