scrambled

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Irish25, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Irish25

Irish25 New Egg

Apr 2, 2012
    Hi everyone. I have 4 very nice girls (Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme) They are 2 years old. Embdens I believe. What is the chance that I adopted these 4 goslings, and they all turned out to be girls? Needless to say, we get lots of eggs this time of year. They run loose through the farm yard with our 7 chickens. Life has been lovely until we adopted Oliver 3 days ago. Oliver is a 5 year old gander that we adopted through Craigslist. His mate had died. We opened up the hatch back on the car and he leapt out of the kennel as calm as can be and just started walking around with the girls as though he had been here his whole life. He went for a swim in the brook and just hung out. He is a pretty likable guy. We were so pleased. The girls were not phased at all.... until they headed to the bunkhouse for the night, that is. There was one egg in there. There was a battle in the coop. Blood was spilt. The girls ganged up on him. So we shooed him out and placed him in the kennel inside the coop with the girls over night. The next day he basically told the girls he was in charge while they were outside. He bit them and held on. I imagine this is to show his authority. He mated with one of them also. The girls have been tolerant of him all day both days, but all three nights, it;s the same show at bedtime. I have been removing any eggs. Any advice? I am afraid they will gang up on him and kill him. Tonight was a tangle. I had to split the five of them up with my broom. He doesn't back down. Although once he gets out of the coop, he is less willing to go back in. Also, he is a Pilgrim.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I only know chickens, not geese or ducks. But the coop is THEIR (the girls) territory, so they're really defending it. Outside they do better because it's open, not really their territory. My free range chickens always do well with newbies out and about - but the coop is another matter. And of course he's trying to assert his dominance.
    I always do slow integrations with chickens, and it sounds like you're going to have to do that with him too. Whether it's a crate, or you have access to a dog house you can convert or whatever, it sounds like you're going to have to find some other place for him at night time until the girls have accepted him better...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by