1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

scraps

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by stephen.williams, Jul 14, 2008.

1. stephen.williams

stephen.williams Out Of The Brooder

CanI give my chickens too many scraps?? They are at least 10 weeks old now and love the scraps. I am afraid if I give them too much scraps they wont eat there other food.

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Why not give them scraps now? They'll eat less food now but will make up for it in the winter when scraps probably aren't as plentiful.

3. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    are they free ranging? If so they will be fine. What did they feed back in the pioneer days during summer when they had no feed?? They ate the chickens during winter. [​IMG] lol

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Sure you can give them too much, Stephen.

One problem with kitchen scraps is that they may just be empty calories. Without sufficient protein you will be slowing the growth of those 10 week-olds. Without sufficient vitamins, you may be setting them up for illnesses.

That being said, scraps can be a healthy part of their diets. I try to make sure that they are eating at least half of the commercial feed. There's no science in that "rule of thumb" but I'm trying for a healthful diet for the birds (and I've only got so many digitS' [​IMG]).

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by