Scratch Grain- Why it's useful in flock management and nutrition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Fermented oats/ grain is a great way to feed whole grains.

When I ferment grain I just add a few cans of oats (or grain) in a bucket and add *apple juice* to cover the oats about a inch or so and topping off with apple juice as needed.
After 3 or 4 days it should be "ripe" then I drain and top there feed with it... (You will know when it is ready by it's smell. When it ready it will have a sour smell)

Note:
* Apple Juice* Raw or Organic is best.
I like apple juice better than plain water. Apple juice will add vitamin C and help with the fermenting process.

I like to also add a Vitamin mix like Rooster Booster Poultry Cell to the fermenting mix at the rate of 1 to 3 cc per bird per day.

Rooster Booster adds:
Copper
Cobalt
Magnesium
Manganese
Zinc
Selenium
Vitamin A
Vitamin D-3
Vitamin E
Vitamin B-12
Menadione (Vitamin K-3)
Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2)
Pyridoxine (Vitamin B-6)
Folic Acid
d-Panthothenic Acid
Niacinamide
Thiamine (Vitamin B-1)
Alanine
Arginine
Aspartic Acid
Cystine
Glutamic Acid
Glycine
Histidine
Isoleucine
Lysine
Methionine
Phenyla Lanine
Proline
Serine
Threonine
Tryptophan
Tyrosine
Valine

Chris

Last edited:
I am not sure if this has been said but complete layer pellets are and were formulated for caged birds with no other feed sources available. If your birds are free range they usually get more nutrition than they need and eat pellets as an addition to thier diet. Scratch is beneficial as another choice of many choices throughout the day.

Quote:
Sharon,
Just keep in mind that chickens as we know them are a domesticated animal that was never wild so they never really had to find there food naturally on there own.

Chris

I have been using just water to ferment the oats but will see if i can find raw apple juice here. My chickens forage continually during the day so maybe thats why they don't seem that interested in the pellets, but now that winter is upon us with snow and ice foraging will be less and alot less green and insects, so I'm thinking more pellets will be eaten. As for the fremented oats is it not a good idea using them during the winter months? I just started about a month ago with them? I have had ducks for going on 8 years and chickens going on 3 yrs. and still am having doubts on what is the best way to feed them. I can tell you one thing they eats the fermented oats and 7 way scratch much better than the Flock Raiser. why is that?

I like feeding sprouted grains as a heavy supplement ( 25-50%) to a 20% flock raiser. But, lately, oats and wheat have been not much cheaper than flock raiser.
I cant sprout regular scratch becaause the cracked corn makes it spoil.
I need to start ordering from Azure Standard. I think their oats and wheat were less than the feed store for me and organic. ( not to mention I'm almost out of my wheat for grinding in the house for bread)
I've never ordered from Azure before so I need to figure out the drop off thing.
Has anyone grown enough amaranth,buckwheat or sorghum to use for chicken feed? Amaranth, especially, is easy to grow and I was thinking it may be great since its high in protein. What about chia, too? Stuff grows so easily.

Last edited:
Quote:
Satiation as in full- filled- I'm going to describe this better above where it says Flock Management.

Sorry...I will be patient then. LOL

Quote:
Sharon,
Just keep in mind that chickens as we know them are a domesticated animal that was never wild so they never really had to find there food naturally on there own.

Chris

Good point. I think my wording was not as intended. I think the use of the word bulk threw it off. I want to supply them with as much feed as they need me to...I would just like them to forage for what they can and have the feed that they need from me be as natural a product as I can supply. The feral chickens around here are beautiful with a nice sheen to their feathers and the egg shells are nice and hard as well. This they do without anyone feeding them so I know the land here has good forage...granted mine are more confined than the ferals were. There is actually only one left now. Stray dogs took out all but one rooster last year and he has taken up with my hens. Beautiful bird.
sharon

Quote:
I see what you are saying but also some breeds are better at foraging than others.
If you have feed/water in there coop and let them free range during the day they should be just fine.

Chris

Quote:
I see what you are saying but also some breeds are better at foraging than others.
If you have feed/water in there coop and let them free range during the day they should be just fine.

Chris

Yes, this is what I do. They have access at any time they want to the pens with the water and food. I am primarily dealing with my o shamo in this regard. They are excellent at foraging. The silkies......not so much! Nor the polish.....LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom