Scratch marks and an inflamed foot?

Feb 11, 2021
This must of happened over night and I just now noticed it the second time today I have handled them. My favorite four week old chick, Lemon, has a very swollen foot with scratch marks on the top of her foot? Or are those something else? I soaked her foot in epsom salt water and then applied some blu-kote. But I'm still not 100% sure if those are claw marks or not. Of course this image is before the blu-kote. Also, the bottom of her foot is scab free and soft.
20210307_134704.jpg

I dont thubk those are scratches, I think its cracked from the swelling. Is her foot hot to the touch? How does her leg look?
Her swollen foot is a bit warmer. And her legs look fine. It's just swelling in her entire foot. I honestly thought it was bumble foot until I saw her pad was soft and callouse free. Also she doesn't have any raise scales so it isn't scaley mite

Last edited:
Her swollen foot is a bit warmer. And her legs look fine. It's just swelling in her entire foot. I honestly thought it was bumble foot until I saw her pad was soft and callouse free. Also she doesn't have any raise scales so it isn't scaley mite
Warmth and swelling makes me automatically think infection. Not sure from what though. Hopefully someone will be able to come and give you and idea on what/if you should start her on an antibiotic.

Warmth and swelling makes me automatically think infection. Not sure from what though. Hopefully someone will be able to come and give you and idea on what/if you should start her on an antibiotic.
Unfortunately in Washington state I am unable to buy antibiotics in store. So if the inflammation doesn't clear up in four days or so or gets worse I'll take her to the poultry vet a couple cities over

I see what looks like one scratch down her leg and continues on to the foot. It looks like she maybe got it caught in something and injured it pulling free. Is everything moving around OK and without any abnormal noises?

I see what looks like one scratch down her leg and continues on to the foot. It looks like she maybe got it caught in something and injured it pulling free. Is everything moving around OK and without any abnormal noises?
She moves pain free and is making her normal chick sounds. She seems to be acting normal. And there is nothing she could of injured her foot on. Unless she twisted it funky while walking

Back
Top Bottom