Scratch

Hi this is the first time raising chickens mine are about five months old now. I've been reading about scrach. This is all they sell in the feed store except egg maker. What do I feed them I do live in a hot climate, please help before I kill my chickens thank you, Debby:cd

Lazy J is right- it's digestion, not corn, that produces heat. That's why in the dead of winter I give my horse more hay to keep his gut working and producing heat.
You can't change people minds though, so by calling it a hot feed I hope it helps to limit the amount that is fed to their chickens.
I would prefer to call corn "candy" and fed it to my chickens with that in mind.
Twinkey30- you won't kill your chickens- if you live in a hot climate then fresh fruits and vegies should be cheap. They love apples, watermelon, squash, tomatoes etc. . I expanded my garden to provide my chickens with natural goodies, just treat the scratch as candy and you are the parent doling it out.

Quote:
Because it has alot of corn and its only a filler .

they need the chick starter for the healthy nutrienial vitamins inside . They need the protein since they are this young . Chick starter for 8 weeks , then Grower UNTIL you see your 1st. egg , or a week before they are due to start laying , LAYING PELLETS 100%

Thank you Kris for the imformation on the scrach for the chickens. I have another problem my Rhode Islands Reds are pecking to death my Americanas- also known as Easter Chickens, what do I do they have been raised with them since chicks help!!!
Debby:|

Twinkey30 - you will get more help and responses if you start a new thread and ask your question.

However, my first question would be how much room do they have? One of the biggest reasons that chickens peck each other is because they are in too small of a space and/or are bored.

By the way - Welcome to BYC!!

Last edited:
Oh yes don't make it a habit by any means. We gave our 16 week olds cracked corn for the first time this week. They scarfed it down in record time and stood there around the empty bowl staring at me with this "Is that all there is?" kind of expression.

Might as well just call it "crack"!
roll.png

~Phyllis

Quote:
Scratch raises the temperature of a bird and you wouldn't want that in the summer.

I believe this is an old wive's tale (or folklore if you prefer that term). It has been discussed to death in this and other threads.

Quote:
When my chicks were about 2 wks old, I started them on chick grit .My baby chicks are given free choice and they choose it with pleaure, baby grit is fine Granite, as soon as they are given anything besides Starter Crumbles. Their tiny gizzards are at optimum function at an early age. I couldn't find any chick grit, so I smashed up regular granite grit fairly fine. First I gave them some small pieces of lettuce as I had a lot in my garden. They picked at it. I started giving them vegie scraps cut up pretty fine too. At first they just picked at everything. I had some grubs in my compost so I tried them and the chicks went crazy for them. I guess it boils down to trial and error. Just make sure if you give them anything, be sure to give them chick grit too.
jumpy.gif
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom