Scratch

Wow, great info on the hot food scenario. Yes, cherry tomatoes! I'll get some oats and add it to the wheat I already have. What fun, now I can think up new ways to spoil my babies.
big_smile.png

I give my girls scratch year round. I use an organic 3 grain scratch that doesn't have any corn in it. They get a handful tossed on the ground every morning when I let them out of their coop. No problems in 3 years.

Oats... like the kind that you give horses, will that work?? My chicks are 3 weeks old today and going through the start n grow awfully fast. Can I mix in crumbles with the star n grow??
smile.png

Mamaboyd- I give a small amount of oats to my chickens. These are the same oats I feed my horse. They love them. I never mix in with the start and grow because they will scratch alot out to get to the oats.
Girlsnboys- I am also interested in what 3 grains make up the organic scratch. I want to get away from using so much corn in their diet. Because they LOVE it I will not get rid of completely. I thought maybe a oats, black oilers mix with a small amount of corn.
I also feed boiled eggs to my chicks (13 and 7 weeks) as a treat and a little added protein. Before they were out outside I would give them canned vegies, I think french cut green beans were their favorite. Now that they get grass I don't add them as much.

I will probably try it too because if the lady was right about it, i am sure someone on here would have confirmed it.

Lurky- I agree with Angie n Maine about feeding eggs. When I first gave them boiled eggs they were kink of like " hmmm.. I don't know about this", but then they went nuts!! Now Pee Wee, my little Partridge Rock, jumps up and knocks the plate out of my hands!
lol.png

Chicks are four weeks old. Can I give them things besides yogurt like bread without using grit. They are gong to stay on shavings and locked in the brooder for awhile longer, so they have no access to dirt or rocks.

What is safe to treat with now without using grit? If I need to add grit, can I just start treating away with an assortment of goodies?

Thanks so very much to all that reply.

Back
Top Bottom