Scratch

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Yep, you're wrong. The corn doesn't magically heat up the bird, extra energy as carbohydrates helps the bird deal with temperatures below their Thermal Neutral Zone.

That should be in a sticky.

Which everyone would ignore. Never mind.​

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
Yep, you're wrong. The corn doesn't magically heat up the bird, extra energy as carbohydrates helps the bird deal with temperatures below their Thermal Neutral Zone.

Thats interesting thanks for the information.

I dont think i inferred that extra corn would magically heat up the chicken lol...but from all I have read extra corn and grain does help keep chickens warm in the winter and every advise I have read tells me this.

Kathie Thear for example her Beginners Guide to Keeping Chickens states:

Grain. In winter, as more demands are made on the metabolism (keeping warm as well as laying eggs), it is necessary to INCREASE the rations. Some extra grain, is the most cost-effective. END OF QUOTE (FOUND on page 57).

From my favorite website the Chicken Keeper quotes:

Grain, such as wheat or mixed corn, can be given at lunchtime/early afternoon as a treat. Wheat is better than mixed corn for most of the year, as it is not so fattening. If a chicken puts on too much internal weight, it could affect egg production. The wheat can simply be thrown on the ground as the chickens like foraging for it. In the winter, laying hens will need to increase their food in order to keep warm. At this time they appreciate mixed corn as they like the soya and maize. These two last ingredients are more fattening than the wheat, which is why it is not advisable to use mixed corn routinely, but they give the chickens the extra fat they need to keep them warm and egg producing in the cold months.

So I am a bit confused as it is my reading that you can increase the grain in the winter to help keep the chicken warm. ?

Oh and Clay Mudd I would never ignore advice from an expert its all a learning curb. I have taken on board what has been said, but it is confusing for newbies when experts who write books tell you one thing and someone else tells you something different. Thanks for your input.​

Quote:
Actually, you're right on the money. I think that some of what you wrote here should be in that sticky. (Actually, I wish more people would be like you and read actual books...)

Giving them extra food in winter is a pretty well-supported idea. The controversy starts when people misunderstand the mechanism and decide that corn does "magically" raise body temperature. I misread what you had written and lumped you in with those folks. Sorry.

Last edited:
My take is simply this. 100% for "what it is worth" category.

There's no doubt that caloric intake goes up in the winter as the hens are using calories for warmth, not merely egg laying as would be the case in milder weather. I expect production to drop 20% and feed to uptick 10-20%. Since I do not live in a mild climate, I consider this all normal and common sense.

However, my feed is already a very high percentage of corn and grains. Huge percentage, according the Hubbard Feed's own data. Thus, how is giving them the grains, going to make much difference, I ask myself. But, the grains, by themselves, lack the other beneficial protein and other supplements that are in my regular feed. This has always been my quandary.

BTW, on other posts, Lazy J reports having doctoral level training and education in animal science, so while the tone of some responses seem a bit terse, I listen. I consider the source of books I read as well. Just because things are published doesn't mean it is always gospel, of course. We all continue to learn, evaluate what we hear and read, and discover things for ourselves. Best regards.

Wow, This is pretty deep thread over giving a chicken a little scratch. I live where its down right hot. I love winter its much easier on the birds that's for sure. I don't feed any scratch to my birds until old man winter shows up. When its gonna be a super cold night right before they go up to roost I'll throw em some scratch to help fill them up for the cold night ahead. I feel like it helps them get through the cold night ahead of them. I don't see any harm in them having some extra food that they normally wouldn't have to help them get through a cold night.

Fred's Hens :

However, my feed is already a very high percentage of corn and grains. Huge percentage, according the Hubbard Feed's own data.

If your feeding the 17% Layer then your looking at around 63.8% corn, 31.2% concentrate and 5% limestone (feed grade).
wink.png
That is what I have been using on my layers, so for I like the Hubbard Concentrate but I really wish that I could get the Concentrate that Buckeye Nutrition puts out. I think it is a little better and it also has animal protein/animal fat and contains 40% protein.

Chris​

Last edited:
Quote:
If your feeding the 17% Layer then your looking at around 63.8% corn, 31.2% concentrate and 5% limestone (feed grade).
wink.png
That is what I have been using on my layers, so for I like the Hubbard Concentrate but I really wish that I could get the Concentrate that Buckeye Nutrition puts out. I think it is a little better and it also has animal protein/animal fat and contains 40% protein.

Chris

Chris, what are you paying for the Hubbard concentrate?

Quote:
Right around $17.00 a 50 lb. bag

Chris

Thanks. Looking at the ingredients, it seems to me that you could end up with a better feed than the usual bagged stuff for a little less money doing it your way. Or a lot less, depending on how pricey the grain is.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom