Scratching My Head ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SouthernFried21, Oct 8, 2012.

1. SouthernFried21

SouthernFried21 New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    After much deliberation and research, my daughter and I decided to purchase 6 marans... We decided to keep them inside at a controlled temp for 6-8 weeks after bringing them home (they were 3 days old), within 5 days, we found 1 dead. I called the breeder and asked if we had inadvertantly done something to cause this...she assured me that no, we had done everything correctly. At 3 weeks, we lost the second one...no warning, nothing..at 10 weeks, we moved them into their coop which was at the end of June, during warm weather. The remaining 3 seemed to thrive. Unexpectedly, we lost number this past week, again no warning..no signs of sickness...and number 5 was found dead this morning....my question is, are they so specialized that they cannot be raised in a small brood or is there something genetically wrong with the batch? We have other chickens that are doing well, no problems at all. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG] Could your daughter accidentally be hurting them? Any other pets?

3. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]
    sorry for your loss, i have no idea what it could be, predator maybe ? i hope you can figure out the mystery soon

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Can you give us a bit more details? Feed, brooder space etc.

5. SouthernFried21

SouthernFried21 New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    Feed was started with a basic organic Chick feed that we ordered thru our local feed store. We have just added layer's mash (also organic) 3 parts chick feed, 1 part mash in the past 2-3 weeks. As a precauion (which was given by our local farmers), we added electrolytes to their water when the mash was started. We have a large coop (laying boxes & house) are 20'x20' with a run 30'x15'x6' and a smaller coop for the younger chicks which is 3'x3' coop with a 10'x3' run. Each one is enclosed with small mesh wire, so I don't think a large predator could get to them, not sure if anything much larger than a mouse could actually get in. When we checked them, we found no obvious signs of trauma. We did note that their crops were a bit smaller than normal, so I'm wondering if they were sick with no obvious signs?

6. SouthernFried21

SouthernFried21 New Egg

Oct 8, 2012
    No, she's very gentle with each of them, they're really more like pets than farm animals. She's old enough to be very responsible with each of them. No pets, we live in a very rural area tho and wild animals are present at times.

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, SouthernFried21, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! That is a head scratcher, no doubt. It is rough to lose chickens under any circumstances but under mysterious circumstances it is particularly frustrating. It almost sounds like you bought them with something wrong with them. Did you post over in the Emergencies & Diseases section? Might be able to get more precise advice there. In any event, sorry to hear about your loss and I hope you find out the cause. Best wishes.

8. Red Barn Farms

Red Barn Farms ~Friendly Fowl~

Apr 12, 2012
    Kentucky Heartland
    Hi, welcome to BYC from Kentucky.

[​IMG]

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by