Scrawny Hen

aengler1990

Hatching
Aug 5, 2016
Illinois
Hello!
I have a 5 month old black astralorp who is failing to thrive. She is in a mixed flock with 5 other hens her age, a silkie roo, and 7 other 1 year old hens. She is extremely lethargic, has a pale comb, and is skrawny compared to the rest. She eats and drinks just fine. However, she does not eat treats or peck at the ground.
The other hens have recently started to pick on her bad. Her poor head is almost completely featherless. I've tried to separate her from the others, but she throws a fit! As mean as the other hens are to her, she just wants to be by them. I have started to put electrolytes in the waterers hoping it will help. Any idea what could be wrong with her?

Here she is pictured with the other black Australop of the same age. Poor thing.

How big is the coop and run? Are there multiple stations for food and water? It's not uncommon for a low ranking pullet to be kept from the feed by the more mature or dominant birds. Ample space and multiple sources of food and water spaced as far as possible are important to help reduce territorial behavior.

I have 2 water stations and 2 food stations. She gets plenty of water, and I see her eating atleast a few times a day. The coop is roughly 10x15 feet, and is in the works of being expanded to 10x30.They also have a chicken run that is 10x12 with two 9x5 chicken tractors attatched to it. They have access to all the areas throughout the day and I let them out to roam the yard a few times a week.

Have you felt her crop for any swelling? Is her beak aligned and normal? I don't think your problem is her not getting enough food. Seems more like somethings happening to cause her not to metabolise it or whaterver. But why exactly is a harder question.

Her beak looks alright, and her crop feels fine. She feels like she is all skin and bones though. Do you know of any supplement I can try giving her to help her gain weight? The only thing I have tried so far is electrolytes.I've never seen anything like this, and the only thing I can guess it would be is malabsorption syndrome.

Layer feed or something else? An all flock, grower, or flock raiser feed with more protein in it, might be what she needs. Might want to add one more feeder, just to be sure that there is enough access for her.

Her beak looks alright, and her crop feels fine. She feels like she is all skin and bones though. Do you know of any supplement I can try giving her to help her gain weight? The only thing I have tried so far is electrolytes.I've never seen anything like this, and the only thing I can guess it would be is malabsorption syndrome.

Do you have a vet you could take her to? I don't think it would be good to give supplements without knowing what's wrong. They won't hurt but it's not solving the problem.

Back
Top Bottom