Screaming chickens

You are joking, right? All mine make lots of noise. I mean look at the size of those eggs compared to the pullets! No epidurals!
Learn to love the song. Lol

You're right about the size of the egg. A human's egg is about the size of the period at the end of a sentence on a printed page. No other animal has an egg that is as big in comparison with the size of its body as a bird does. Amazing critters!

I find it strange to call an egg song screaming. It can be shouting if its loud. But screaming 🙀?
Some of my chickens make a proud noise if they have layed an egg. They dont make noises during ‘labour’.

My chickens where screaming a few days ago. And I new something was wrong by the sound of it. I went to the coop to find out the pop door was locked. The automatic pop door failed.
The sun was up and my 8 small bantams where locked up in 3’ x 10’ foot space. They where screaming because they couldn’t go to the run. :barnie

They also make a loud noise if a cat surprises them. Like POH po po po po 🐈 Like they are just a bit alarmed.
If they see a dog of a bird of prey they sound the alarm clock. 🐕 🦊 🦅

They have different sounds for almost every basics.

If they find a special snack they make a proud noise (look what I found). 🐛 🕷

If they have trouble finding the way home, the start calling ‘where are you / I lost my tomtom’. 🏡

A couple of weeks ago I was really surprised when I took a lost hen home again. She had been missing for 2 nights. When I brought her home the other hens welcomed her and she was telling loudly about her experience in repetitive sound (maybe someting like “I was scared , i was scared, i was scared...”) The other hens all responded with a completely other calming soft sound (like we hear you, sorry you had to endure this) :hugs

And a mother hen makes a lot of noises to her children. Telling about food, they have to come to mother... So cute.

Screaming every day for snacks is a habbit you probably can alter. The chickens stop after a week or so if you stop responding to it. At first you go crazy because they don't seem to stop (have this from someone with screaming faverolles, not my own experience).

@David61 :Not responding to open the pop door is not always possible of course. If you do find the screaming annoying , an automatic pop door (eg. chickenguard) is a great solution. I love it 😊.

Last edited:
There is no "quiet" chicken breed, it's more of a personality thing. I would have to say, however, that my quietest girls are the Orpingtons, Speckled Sussex, and Easter Eggers. The Wyandottes, Barred Rocks, and Delawares are the most talkative and loud!

HA. My SS and BO are driving me up the wall. Screaming every morning from 5am....only happy when let out to free-range. Their coop and run is well over 250 square feet for the 7 of them. They just want to be free......

I had to re-home 3 of my original chickens because of how amazingly LOUD they were (and a cranky neighbor). First to go was my Dominique as she was loud and never stopped "talking". Very sweet chicken though. Next to go were my 2 splash laced red Wyandottes...they would just scream and squawk all day! Beginning at the crack of dawn to get the pop door open and then steadily all day. Whew! Very good layers and very pretty but not friendly at all and skittish. The young man I gave them to texted me after a few days saying "they're LOUD and never shut up!" LOL, I'd told him that's why they needed a new home. My flock now are pretty quiet: 1 buff Orpington, 1 Barnevelder, 1 Silkie, 1 Pyncheon bantam and 3 porcelain D'uccle that are 7 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom