Screaming Poult -- does it mean anything?

Denninmi

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
One of my six poults (now 2 weeks old), the one that seemed sick when it was a few days old gasping for breath and droopy, is much noisier than all the rest -- it is frequently but not constantly "screaming" -- well, calling might be a better term, it's the same kind of noise that a lost chick makes, sort of a loud whistling call.

Otherwise, it seems just like the rest, is eating and drinking normally, but it is one of the 2 smallest although definitely growing.

They are all together in one brooder now -- I had them separated 3 and 3, but thought perhaps keeping them all together might stop this one's plaintiff cries.

Any thoughts -- is perhaps something wrong with it that that isn't readily apparent, and it might just up and die suddenly or something?

PS -- I'm keeping the brooder temp at around 91/92 right now, been lowering it gradually as seemed appropriate to keep them comfortable (kept at 98/99 at first, then lowered to 94/95) and they ALWAYS have fresh water with tetracycline and erythromyacin added as a prophylactic, and I'm feeding them 24% protein medicated gamebird starter. I've also been giving them some greens, mostly leaf lettuce and escarole from my garden, which they all seem to love. I am using coarse pine shavings from the pet store in the bottom to help with sanitation, and clean that out twice a day morning and evening to avoid any potential aspergillus pneumonia problems from mold.

Last edited:
Did you handle that Poult a lot when it wasn't doing well? It may be craving attention again.
We lower our temperatures 5 degrees a week. Starting at 95, at 2 weeks old ours would be at 85 degrees.
They may be too warm now too.

David

Some times it helps to see a picture of your brooder so we know the size and see how they are in relation to the light. Can they get away for the heat if they need to? It sounds to me like your temperature might be to warm for a 2 week old. Maybe 90-85 might be better. Is anyone breathing like they are panting? I don't use a thermomoter anymore but go my the sound and position of the birds.

Did this poult have any problems hatching on his own? It is possible the poult is just not right and won't make it. Nothing that you did wrong or can do a thing about.

I don't put anything in the water except probiotics. Maybe sugar if they were shipped or needed to be perked up. Never antibiotics or vitamins because I have had problems with them in the past. I don't even feed medicated food but many people do. Many people also put ACV in the water. Mine get 30% protein turkey/game bird starter and no greens. Mine are clean but I am not obessive about it. Never twice a day.

My poults were VERY vocal as babies, and at 6 1/2 and 8 weeks are still very talkative. They have moved outside, and I think they miss seeing "the big turkeys." When they notice we are out of their line of sight, the volume goes up.

If you leave the room and the `screaming' gets louder and then return and the poult gets quiet, it thinks you are the mama turkey.

Yes, I believe they think I'm a mama turkey, because of the way I dote on them and beam at them no matter what foolishness they've gotten into. Turkeys sure do have personality!

I have one 2 week old poult that will do anything to get out of brooder so DH will hold him. Too cute.
love.gif

BTW, my "screamer" has pretty much stopped doing this -- it acts just like the rest now -- they peep to each other when disturbed or whatnot, but aren't particular vocal otherwise.

I had one like that in my last hatch.We called it the "town cryer".lol.I would run to see what all the racket was,because it sounded like it was distressed,only to find this one bird standing on top of the water calling at the top of it lungs.I would then ask what the heck is the problem and get a peep-peep for a answer.They have since been moved outside and I can no longer tell which one is the screamer.I do think some attach to their "mom" more than others but I can't really talk turkey so they have to start talking to each other.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom