screaming/screeching hen !?!?

Yep... got a screecher as well. I even started a thread on her. The neighbours were even concerned that she was eggbound due to all the noise coming from the coop when we went away for a night. Once you let her out in the morning she's fine, but heaven help the neighbourhood when she doesn't get her own way!!
roll.png

Several of mine do this, one will start then they all start, it ones louder than the next. You would think I was strangling them or something
lol.png
. They're way louder than my neighbors rooster, I bet my neighbors are complaining when they start up like that!
roll.png

I must be lucky. None of my 8 girls are screechers, at least not very often. Every now and then there's a squawk when Greta picks on Minerva or Millicent because one of them got "in her space" but that's about it.

However, Matilda and Bernadette just talk and talk and talk all day long. Bernadette HAS to tell me everything going on. Matilda will move on to another part of the run, then suddenly come running back with something else to tell me, squawking the whole way, then quieting down to conversational buk-buks when she gets back to me. Bernadette keeps up the running commentary. Follows me everywhere, sits in my lap if I rest in the chair inside the run, chatting away the whole time.

Carl, the roo, brags about his conquests and responds to another rooster somewhere in the 'hood.

The first time I actually heard the "egg song" I thought something awful had happened, and I ran outside to see what predator had made it through the defenses..... WHAT was in the coop!!??!!

Rebecca, laying an egg. Oh.

Greta is louder and longer about laying her eggs.

But no screechers. There are four chicks in the brooder; hope none of them turn out to be screechers! (RIR, BR, and 2 Welsummers.)

Our polish is a screamer. She was nice and quiet over the winter, but now that the weather has warmed up, she's back at it. It is indeed the most cacophonous racket - much worse than the rooster we had!

Quote:
Oh my word- my three barred rocks (well, once is supposed to be a dominiquer, but they all look the same) are the noisiest out of the bunch! The one screeches nearly all day, like she's getting ready to cluck but then doesn't. She's also really peckish and is one who plucking others, I think. Not sure what to do with this one. None of mine are laying let, but they should be pretty close. Hope this is just her loud, annoying egg song and she'll get on with it soon!

I have one that just started that after she "weaned" her chicks. I'm thinking it might be that she got used to getting special meals, and now she isn't. I'd feed her and the chicks before I let the others out in the morning. Naturally, once she decided the whole crew needed to spend the nights in the main coop, that stopped. Now she raises HELL, and not always when I go out there. I've started ignoring her and she seems to be a little more quiet. But for a while, I could have sworn she was being murdered and would bolt out to see what the trouble was. Silly things.

Quote:
Hey! I've got her twin living with our flock!
lol.png
She will ALWAYS rush to the patio door when she sees us come out, she'll trample over others to be the first to get a treat. She'll also make a cooing sound at the door begging for treats when the others are all free ranging. If I'm late letting them out of the coop, she'll make a loud racket & then she'll scold me for being late!

I have a RIR hen that does this. She screams before and after laying an egg. If someone is in her nesting box she screams for me. When I come out she fusses at me. If there is anything she does not like she screams. I love her but sometimes
smack.gif

So happy I found this post. I have a hen that stands at the run door and just screams.. I know it is because she wants out of the run.. but I have a set time I let them out and she will just stand there and scream.. She is a black crested polish/buff orp mix. She does get broody often and I let her be a momma at times.. but man the screaming is no rhyme or reason other than to irritate her person.. I am sure of this!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom