Screwed

Yeah, I didn't build the main part of my coop until mine were 7 weeks, and my dear old dad helped me out. He's not the best carpenter and I had left my level at a duplex I was renovating, so everything is crooked, but hey, the chickens don't care! They are almost 10 weeks now and I just finished expanding it to house two more (it really is an addiction), plus built the nesting boxes. Still gotta build the ramp so it's not just the leghorn that can get up to the roost area!
Don't panic, keep it simple, and remeber the chickens don't care what it looks like as long as they are safe and cozy.

Quote:
Lots of information missing here for me to decide to sympathize with you or not.

What were the plans that fell through? You bought chicks with no place to keep them? Who was supposed to build this coop? What do you consider a ghetto run?

My advice, get rid of the chicks and start over. This time don't put the horse before the cart.

Build the coop and the run and then get the chicks.

Hoping for the best

Rancher

Let's do this again.

Had the OP said "the person who was supposed to build my coop had a heart attack and couldn't do it", that would have allowed me to say , "I'm sorry to hear that", but they didn't did they?

Further they didn't say what a "ghetto" run is, did they? To me a ghetto run may be just fine temporarily. This winter was rough and my run crashed down and I had to rebuild it. Until I did it had to suffice.

They asked for advice which is what they got. It was honest and I'm sorry there were many who didn't like it and felt it was mean. No meaner I suppose than getting chicks with no place to house them.

My advice still stands. Unfortunately it's the chickens who suffer, and I choose to sympathize with them. Seems to me, better the OP's feelings get hurt than the chicks get eaten by a predator.

Still hoping for the best

Rancher

Everything is a work in progress. I don't have any ideas to give you but can tell you when you get it figured out you are going to love it and hopefully think this was well worth the headache. Hang in there you will get alot of good advice from the BYC forum:hugs

Suzyq, also if your doing a quick coop with 2" braces similar to this :
http://www.lowes.com/pd_66479-72913-A44_0_?productId=1095987&Ntt=90 brace&Ntk=i_products_cascade&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=90 brace

if you use an open floor coop you should only need 8, 2 for each corner top and bottom.

Here's a quick drawing of something I've done to do a "Quick Coop" with my old neighbors last year when they were given a pair of chickens.
smile.png

Slap a piece of tin, aluminum, tin, anything on top of it, even a tarp nailed down at an angle (use a 2X4 of something on the front end or cut the side pieces at an angle and have the back wall shorter than the front wall, and tack the tarp to the sides of the coop and you got some interior water proofing. best thing would be put chicken wire or hardware cloth then tarp or just use the tin/plastic/aluminum...

Use swinging brackets like you would on a door or cabinet on the side or bottom of the door, attack the piece of wood you cut out and add a locking mechanism or turn latch, and you can have something to securely lock them up in at night.
smile.png
add in a couple rods for roosting through the sides drill big holes the size of your roosting poles from one side to the other.

coopdrawing.jpg

I'm glad you're getting something that your comfortable and happy with for the moment. I was going to say that we got a used dog kennel (with top!) off craigslist for 80 dollar and a free dog house for our ducks. They are very happy in there.

Quote:
Lots of information missing here for me to decide to sympathize with you or not.

What were the plans that fell through? You bought chicks with no place to keep them? Who was supposed to build this coop? What do you consider a ghetto run?

My advice, get rid of the chicks and start over. This time don't put the horse before the cart.

Build the coop and the run and then get the chicks.

Hoping for the best

Rancher

Let's do this again.

Had the OP said "the person who was supposed to build my coop had a heart attack and couldn't do it", that would have allowed me to say , "I'm sorry to hear that", but they didn't did they?

The OP shouldn't have to explain his/herself. It's not up to us to "judge" whether a person has a 'decent excuse by our standards' or not. You aren't owed an explanation, plain and simple. If you feel you need one, keep your opinion to yourself instead of judging a person in need of assistance. It's not up to me to decide whether the OP has a "legitimate" reason or not for his/her predicament. If we care about chickens, we help. Period. If you have reservations and feel the OP is not properly prepared or whatever, then don't offer assistance.

Your advice still stands? You didn't give any advice, other than to "get rid of" his/her chickens. Even now, after you learned the builder had a heart attack you still defend yourself and offer no assistance to him/her. Give me a break. How about: "I'm sorry, I jumped to conclusions". That's more fair than blaming the OP for not properly explaining the reasons behind his/her predicament.

I totally didn't know this would start something..... I am so sorry for the upset. I love my chicks and take very good of them. I know the coop will get built. Panicking was not a good idea...I see that now.

Thanks for all the advice!

ScaredOfShadows- I think I will use this plan!!!

Back
Top Bottom