SDS in ducks

ali04

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
I just had one of my Drake Pekin ( 2 years old) die suddenly he was fine and playing,eating, and swimming then when I went to check on them one was just floating upside down in the water. I was devastated. I know it’s a mystery disease but has anyone else expirenced this and is there any way to avoid it I have now a single Drake pekin (6 years old) and I am worried he could have it too

I’m so sorry for your loss. I agree with out a necropy there is no way of knowing. A couple weeks ago my Wyandotte hen 2yrs old just died suddenly . She appeared healthy was laying I had no idea there was anything wrong. I didn’t have a necropsy done.
it’s hard enough losing one when they are old but when young and no sign of illness that is harder. I’m sorry for you drake maybe try to find him a friend I’m sure he is going to be sad. They are so devoted to each other.

Thanks for all the input does anyone have any ideas on what I should do I feel so bad having just one duck but I don’t know if I will be able to find a full size pekin anytime soon. I know they should be together curious if anyone knows someone who has raised a single pekin

I have seen many members through the years that have had single drakes or females. It's not an ideal situation since poultry are flock animals and thrive in a flock. To keep your drake happy and healthy you'd need to spend alot of time with him. Most of us can't do that for various reasons. If at all possible try and find him a buddy there are always people trying to find a home for drakes.
Have you been on your state forum? You may find someone who is looking for a home for a drake. It doesn't have to be a Pekin but try and get one of similar size. Or if you don't want to bring in another duck maybe you can find someone willing to give your drake a home forever?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/find-your-states-or-your-countrys-thread.270925/

Back
Top Bottom