Serama hen with water belly

tennsongbird01

Songster
8 Years
May 6, 2016
Maryland
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone here can help me. I have a roughly 4 year old serama hen that I've been noticing feels very heavy like she's over weight. However, yesterday when I picked her up to just to say hello, her underbelly near her vent is just very squishy like a water balloon. As of this moment, she still stands up, walks very little ,has a little bit of an appetite, not much and the water intake in very low, I've not seen her drink but im trying to get her to. In the little research so far that I've done. Im aware this has no cure. However I do understand that I can drain it off and possibly extent her time with me. My problems are these. I'm unable to find a video or any info on the size guage needle ( will i be able to get it at tractor supply )and the safe amount to drain off. Shes not panting as of yet, . She hasn't laid any eggs for several days but doesn't seem egg bound either. If I had to say her size, I'd compare her to a pigeon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

her underbelly near her vent is just very squishy like a water balloon. As of this moment, she still stands up, walks very little ,has a little bit of an appetite, not much and the water intake in very low, I've not seen her drink but im trying to get her to.

Shes not panting as of yet, . She hasn't laid any eggs for several days but doesn't seem egg bound either.
Boy, she She's quite small then. The only good videos I know of are for larger fowl, you may want to try a smaller needle to withdraw the fluid if you are going that route. Ideally it would be best to let her drip on her own.
I've linked the video I point folks to, but you may be able to find some that deal with draining smaller birds like Pigeons or "caged birds"?

Since she's still moving about a little, isn't in a lot of distress, then you may want to try Aloe Detox to see if that helps remove the fluid instead of draining.
Coach has instructions on the detox in this link. For your Serama's size, I would give 1/4 of what she suggests. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...le-to-move-now-laid-egg.1446105/post-24045478

Have you given her an antibiotics?

Hi, thanks for responding. I went shortly after making that post to ts and got 18g needle and 6cc syringes. I did drain her fluid which was dark yellow in color. I took 2 syringe fulls and stopped. She continued to drip on her own all through the night. I had to replace her bedding etc in the morning. As of today, her appetite seems a little less and her comb is flopped on the side and pretty purple. She is picking at cucumber and yogurt. I'm making her drink. I gave her a dose of doxycycline last night but im looking now to see if I should change that and add some acidophilus. This is my first time dealing with water belly. I'm also wondering when I might expect to see improvement if any. She was pretty full of fluid. She is now just standing in one spot sleeping. She has walked some. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Doesn't sound like she's rallying. Most report if draining is helping, the hen usually perks up fairly quickly, so if you drained on Friday, you should have seen some improvement by now.

The purple coloring of the comb could be heart failure or reduced oxygen. Giving the Doxy is a good idea. I don't know if acidophilus will do anything, but likely it won't hurt.

I think you are doing what you can, keeping her hydrated is important. You can give electrolytes to replenish her. I'd offer her things she like to pick at and eat right now, if cucumber and yogurt suits her that great. Bits of egg, a little tuna/sardines or even chopped beef liver can be good to give too.

I'm sorry she's not doing all that well.

Our hen Butters was having the same issues. Even breathing hard. I had the Vet send some blood off and she had Meth-Resist Staph pseudintermedius. How i dont know. Heavy doses of Batyril knocked it back some. DO make sure she is drinking and if not slowly use a syringe.

Hi..
Sadly my girl has passed... it proved to be too much for her little body to handle. This was my first and im sure not my last go round with this. My girls are all starting to age. I'm glad yours is doing a bit better.

Hi..
Sadly my girl has passed... it proved to be too much for her little body to handle. This was my first and im sure not my last go round with this. My girls are all starting to age. I'm glad yours is doing a bit better.
I am going to look into what yours had and do a bit of research. I find myself spending almost all free time I have learning more about the different diseases and their treatments.

Hi..
I’m so sorry. My Tammy just passed today too. Sending you much love and comfort.

Back
Top Bottom