1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sdwd

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Yard full o' rocks, Aug 9, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

In pure BRs, sexing is easy, but with the crosses, it's not quite that way. Will be following your project with interest, Kathy.

Our D'Uccle experts here think my little cockerel is a Blue Mille Fleur (as opposed to an actual blue, of course). I'm going to need a name for that little critter. If the other two are pullets, and I'm very sure one is, then they'll stay and I'll keep one porcelain D'Anver rooster from the March hatch and a couple of girls for him and they'll all live together in the old hens' coop with the big girls. When I want pure eggs, I'll separate out either the D'Uccles or the D'Anvers. At least, that's the plan. I can't help but wonder how Shadow will react to a rooster her own size. She used to follow Dutch around like a lovesick puppy, but he would never mate her. Isaac would chase her down for romantic purposes and probably kill her because he does not discriminate due to size, not when there is a pretty girl involved.

Told DH last night that a Princess needs her subjects, so Shadow will get a pint sized entourage to pal around with and boss around. It's going to be fun...that is, if we can get to spring and see the ground again. [​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

When I was putting these few eggs in the bator I tossed in a huge Delaware egg. I did not think it would be a double yolker, and I was correct. So, I hatched out a big ol' fat Delaware chick!

[​IMG]

3. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Evening all.....been finishing breeding pens today.

Here is the latest and greatest use for brooder lights

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I moved Ms Lily to the basement and it was around 55 down there most of the day. Had an extra brooder light sitting around and she LOVES it....catnaps galore today

She will be warmer than in the garage tonight, we are expecting 12F here....uuggghhh

And yes, I'm a softy. Can't stand to think of any of my babies being cold. DW has been teasing me relentlessly all day

4. kathyinmo

Yard full o' rocks :

And yes, I'm a softy. Can't stand to think of any of my babies being cold. DW has been teasing me relentlessly all day

OMGGGGGGGGGG, Scott! [​IMG] I am with your wife ..... you are a softy, for sure!​

5. Bassleg

Bassleg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    This is the cat that just showed up one day her name is FREE LUNCH.
    [​IMG]

6. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Aw, I liiiiiiiiiiiiike it.

Alright, major problem here. My hoop pen is mid-collapse. It is no longer a hoop. It is now a reverse hoop on one side. Yikes. There are 2 roosters in that pen....I stuck them in the rabbit hutch in there to sleep as that would protect them in a full collapse. WHAT NOW. I guess move them into brooders in the carport? What the frig........I'm glad that I moved the mottled cochins out of that pen.

7. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Aww, I am loving the pics of the chicks and cats! Scott, nothing wrong with being a softie!
    Kathy, what a cute del!
    Bassleg, do you still have her?

Nella, what happened? Did you get too much snow or something to make it colapse?

8. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Yes, there is too much snow on top....its weighing it down. I didn't notice as the "good" side is the side you see from the outside of the pen.....only when I went inside today did I realize that gee, the roof is a little low today.

At this point, I'll probably just let it collapse and then fix it later on. Stupid pen.

9. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Sorry to hear that Nella....as if you don't have enough to do.

10. kathyinmo

Quote:Bassleg ..... You are a softy with those critters, too, aren't ya? yeah, you ol' softies love those strays!

Nella, isn't your hoop house made with wire and PVC? I thought they were suppose to hold the weight. guess not, huh? Well, can you brush it off with a broom, to prevent full breakdown? [​IMG] Well, for cryin' outloud .... with all the downsizing you have done, you should have plenty of space available. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by