SE Pennsylvania - free roosters

Discussion in 'Animals In Need of Free Re-Homing' started by dheltzel, Sep 16, 2014.

1. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Several varieties of extra roosters:

Welsummers
    Rhodebars
    Ameracauna (Splash)
    Breda Fowl (Blue and Splash)
    Cochin bantams (multi-colored)

2. Speckledfarmer

Speckledfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    Wausau, WI
    We would be interested in taking a rooster off your hands. We have 11 hens and live in East hanover. Thanks!

3. dheltzel

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Hanover is about 2 hours from my place (I drive through there occasionally to visit my dad in MD). I'd be happy to give you a roo, but I think you could easily find one closer. This time of year there is a glut of extra roos that breeders have raised with their hens and want to get rid of now that they are big enough to cause problems and they can select the best 1 or 2 for next year's breeding.

I gave 14 away yesterday for eating, and know told the guy I'd have a bunch more in a few weeks. It would make me feel better to give one to someone that wasn't going to eat him, so if you are interested in traveling to Pottstown to pick one up, I'd certainly give you preference.

4. Speckledfarmer

Feb 13, 2013
    Wausau, WI
    Excellent, thank you. We do not plan to eat this guy, only ask him to protect the flock. I should have been more clear, we are in East Hanover Township (Palmyra/Grantville area), so I think I am a little over an hour away from you. I've been watching Craigslist, etc for local roos, but so far haven't been successful. Of the breeds you have available, which do you think are best suited to flock protection? Thanks again!

5. McChickenNugget

McChickenNugget Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    We have two golden sexlink roosters in northeast pa. We live in weatherly if that's any closer to you ;)

6. dheltzel

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I'd recommend a larger breed (size does matter when staring down a hawk or cat). I have a lot of Welsummers, they are large and very pretty, but I've never had one go human-aggressive, not that they couldn't. If you look up some pics online you'll see how pretty they are

If you want to save some gas, jump onto the message thread for PA members and tell them you can provide a good home for a spare roo: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/248345/pennsylvania-unite
    I'm not trying to talk you into going somewhere else, I just wouldn't travel an hour for a roo (unless he was very special).

Also, you are close to Lebanon, you should consider going to the Poultty Show out at the fairgrounds there this Sat., 10/11. I won't be able to make it, but it sounds awesome.
    https://lebanonpoultryfanciers.wordpress.com

7. Speckledfarmer

Feb 13, 2013
    Wausau, WI
    Thanks for all your wonderful advice! I think I found a roo locally. Going to visit him on Friday. Will let you know what happens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by