Sealant on sand/nest boxes/coop construction

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sakmeht, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    We're only a couple days away from coop completion and already there's things I would do differently if I could!

For those of you that did not make removable nest box floors/walls, etc... how do you clean them out? They way we built them
    you could pour water into the boxes and it would probably sit there for a decade. Just towel out the water?

Also, our perch is removable but right now is only 9 inches from the back wall. Is this okay for standard sized breeds?
    It can be moved forward but then there would be poop in front of one of the nest boxes.

Another point of concern is that we filled the run with sand and THEN did construction. My husband's been out there
    with a large magnet picking up fallen screws, etc... but he used a paint sprayer while applying the sealant and there's a
    light coating/mist of white sealant on the sand - mostly around the edges. I should try to get this out, yes? We still have another
    yard of sand to add to it, but I can see chickens accidentally ingesting the stuff.

I think that's it for now - thanks for your thoughts! [​IMG]

2. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    If you can post pics that would help alot.....as for the roost mine is 10 in off wall and that is pleanty of room for my BSLs GSLs WLHs and Aracannas al I would say standard size. If you need to move it out do it and put a poop board under it to protect your nesting boxes and everthing else below it. as for the Nesting boxes I brush out all the bedding and than vaccume the rest with shopvac and if needed I use a bleach solution and a rag to wipe and clean hope this helps If your using lots of water I would find the low spots in all boxes and drill a little hole so water can drain out. Good luck hope this helps. As to the sand id scoop te edges if thats where it is bad than turn sand and add more to it.. [​IMG]

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    The finish that was applied to the structure of the run and coop should be inert and not toxic after it dries. I would not be concerned about the finish that got on the sand. Modern paints are not toxic once dried.

I searched diligently for every dropped fastener or piece of wire when I built my coop and run. I could see the chooks pecking them up in the worst way.

Chris

4. Sakmeht

Sakmeht Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    Thanks guys - I won't worry, then. [​IMG]

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

The perch depth is fine, it's no issue if the tail tips touch the wall, that;s not where the mess comes from. Might want to have the poop trays removable or lined for cleaning too

Bore some holes to drain the nest boxes and if you're worried, line the box with screen wire under the bedding to keep bugs out, or you can find a removable plastic box or tray to line the nestbox with

Don't worry about the paint overspray, it's no more hazardous than the paint on the walls especially when it's dry. Any large clumps will sift out with the poo the first time you clean the coop.

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Personally, I would remove as much of the sealant coated sand as feasible. I wouldn't want to chance having something as small as a chicken eat a lot of sealant coated sand to see if it really is nontoxic. Unlike paint on the walls (that they can't really get their beaks on or into), they can easily peck up bits of sand with the sealant on it and ingest it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by