SEARCH Function DOES Work! Sexing Ameraucanas Question Answered!

ranchhand

Rest in Peace 1956-2011
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
SC
Attention SpeckledHen!

I must say thank you for your clear pictures and concise, accurate information. No, I'm not sucking up to you, Cynthia!
lol.png

I have 16 Ameraucanas I hatched from Dipsy Doodle Doo's blue eggs. I usually wait until full feathering to sex them, but these are still a bit confusing, even at 21 weeks! They don't stop moving long enough to really get a count. Busy bunch of teenage hoodlums.

Today I decided to band and also decide who to keep, but couldn't be SURE my memory was correct. I went to the search box top right and typed in "sexing Ameraucanas". Third thread I read through was this one, and SpeckledHen has some very clear and definitive information there including pics.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1483347#p1483347

So thanks Cynthia, and everyone try the search function! If one word or phrase doesn't work, another will.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
LOL, glad it helped. Sometimes the search can take a while, but if you take time to skim each post you'll find what you need.

No banding or sexing went on yesterday, too muddy. I gave it a shot and was mud from head to toe before I slid my way out of the pen and gave it up for a day.

Rustyswoman, how many of which do you have?

Good thing this popped up - After reading it I went out to check on my current 8, and I have 4 boys, 4 girls.
smile.png
Although most of them I could already tell, as they'd make that cute chatter to the girls when eating.

Quote:
Does this work for EE's too? I have half Amaracaunas mixes....Im so stoaked if it does as I will sex all of mine right now!
Most of mine have the flattened pea combs-but some are redder than others?

Quote:
Mud.... me too! And today I woke up to...SNOW. So that means more mud when it melts. So today it is Carhardts overalls and muck boots and maybe I won't have to wash everything when I get in.

I have 4 purebred Ameracaunas from a known line The Roo is black, and hens are B/B/S each. I have been incubating eggs and I also bought some eggs from another well known line and have hatched them (all black)
I have John Blehm Blacks and Lavs chicks coming soon so it was perfect when you posted that link and I appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom