Searching for barley seed

Klivester

Hatching
Feb 26, 2015
I live in Toccoa, Georgia and am searching for barley seed suitable to sprout for fodder for my hens. I have called seed stores within a 50 mile radius and drove 50 miles to Athens only to find the only store in the area that had 1 bag was a treated seed not suitable for animal consumption. Anybody in this area know of a supplier?

Toccoa - that rings a bell. I knew someone in Atlanta many years ago who worked for the distr.court of appeals, she raised show cockers. Her Ch.Sagamore Toccoa was one of the very top winners in the sporting group. I had her baby sister Ch.Sagamore Sprite, who was quite a winner in her own right.

I was told Toccoa meant "the beautiful." Thanks for bringing up such nice memories for me.

Welcome to Backyard chickens, I think you will do best to post on your state thread in search of untreated barley seed.

You might also like to check out Davesgarden.com for sources of barley seeds. There is no charge to use their "Garden Watchdog," which posts pro and con comments of the many, many sellers. Good luck.

Good morning and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

If you don't mind ordering off the Internet, there are several places you can get it. Just do a Bing or Google search for a listing of companies that sell it. It looks like some of them even give free shipping.

Good luck!

Thanks, guys. I'm new to chicken keeping and this site. I've searched the web and found suppliers but the cost to ship is as much as the seed. I really need to find a local source. I found a person on this site from neighboring town so sent them a message. Waiting to hear. Thanks for tolerating me. :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!!

Good luck finding this barely seed. You might also try some health food stores. Sometimes they will special order things for you and you know you are getting organic as well.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom