Searching for Light Brahma Cockerel

Sorry it took me a while to answer. I was planning on it but my husband vetoed me. Since we don't actually have a quarentine area I wanted to make a temporary. I had an idea that I didn't think was going to be a big deal abd It was only for 2 weeks. I'd be the one taking care of him. He still said it wasn't feasible and that I have a habit being too paranoid. 😡 A matter of fact, he consideredb my original plan for the run to be like Fort Knox. That caused caused a big argument. (We eventually compromised some.) He brings up a friend of his who never had a problem bringing new chickens in. 🙄 But this friend also only considers them as property for his convenience. He has no emotional investment in them at all. At least Caspian looked healthy if nothing else.

Kevin did agree with the gradual introduction though.

Last edited:
I got him a week ago. He's beautiful! He's friendly too, not to the point that he likes me to touch him but he doesn't seem to be really afraid either.

He was acquired at a swap and like the old story goes he was supposed to be a pullet. The already had a couple of roosters so they had to find a new home for him. He was not the dominant cockerel but he and a couple of others were doing enough to really stress out the girls. They gave him the name Prince Caspian and that's fine with me.

(Caspian just started doing some type of alarm call. The funny thing is the girls didn't run into the coop, they ran to me and stayed until he stopped alarming. Maybe they'll eventually grow out of that but I admit. It makes me feel important to them.)

I started to introduce him to the pullets the night he came home but with his cage next to the run not in it. When the coop door was open, they didn't come out right away. They just stared at him. I was in the run and tried to coax them out so they finely decide to leave the coop and run toward me to protect them from the mean old cockerel that couldn't even get near them. They did eventually start checking him out.

When the time came to finally let him out to mix with the girls (not the same day of course), it went really smooth although it took till the next day or two for the girls not freak out every time he mounted them. Now they ask him to do it. 🙄 Well there are a few that stick to me so he'll leave them alone.

Except for that quarantine thing, which I'm still upset about, everything seems is running very smoothly for now. I feel like I really lucked out. So did he. He is the only cockerel/rooster to 12 pullets. 😄

Prince Caspian and the girls
IMG_20200811_195047.jpg

We are a bit far (central NJ) and this is too late, but here is our guy. 12 weeks old, just crowed yesterday.

He will need a new home soon, if anyone else is looking!

View attachment 2291473

😳 He seems huge for 12 weeks. I'm sure it will be easy finding him a home. Light Brahma cockerels have a habit of finding homes quickly. Believe it from someone who had been looking for one.

😳 He seems huge for 12 weeks. I'm sure it will be easy finding him a home. Light Brahma cockerels have a habit of finding homes quickly. Believe it from someone who had been looking for one.

Yeah, he was the first to hatch and clearly larger than the others.

I certainly hope someone takes him soon! We have two more cockerels besides him .....

I have twelve 15 week old Light Brahma pullets as of 7/14 and looking for a Light Brahma cockerel to add to the flock preferably about the same age or size.

I live right outside Brunswick, MD which is located at the point where WV, VA, and MD meet. We have 12 acres and and since we're rural have no problems owning a roo.

I have found a Light Brahma breeder not far from me but would rather rescue one. I searched online for rescues around here but none seem to have any Light Brahma cockerels or roosters. I'd be willing to travel a few hours for the right cockerel.

Please let me know if you or someone you know have one needing a home. My girls aren't just chickens to me. They're part of the family and I literally spend hours a day sitting with them. He would be as cherished as my girls and most likely as spoiled as them too.
A fellow chicken spoiler I will keep a lookout for you i rescue roo's no matter the breed so i will keep an eye out for you

Back
Top Bottom