Searching for Ways to Market Roosters

Hey there, and welcome to the flock :jumpy !

Using the free/rehome thread on BYC I was able to rehome two Roos who’d been mis-sexed at the hatchery, ironically, within a few miles of my home. If you post there, include your location in the post title to catch more relevant eyes. Good luck. If you’re like me, you’d love to keep them all. 💔

sourland
Hah. I'm really just trying to get the poor boys out of the way so I can start my own flock without having to buy ten or twenty hens.
Are you allowed to keep them? You could start a bachelor coop, which is a coop of all roos. Without hens they don't fight and you get to enjoy the crowing and pretty rooster feathers.

Hello, and welcome to the flock!

Rehoming roos has become quite the challenge this year...but it's not impossible! Try joining a local FB poultry page, or list on Craigslist. A small rehoming fee can ensure that they go to a good home instead of a fighting ring or freezer camp. You may also be able to connect with a local farm/feed store and see if they can help rehoming. Depending on how many birds you have you may also be able to rehome in breeding "sets" as a pullet will definitely sweeten the deal and help weed out non-breeders/pet owners.

Good luck!

I really don't know what to do with them.

I'm really just trying to get the poor boys out of the way so I can start my own flock without having to buy ten or twenty hens.

I see someone already suggested a bachelor coop, which is one option.

Another option--depending on how desperate you get--is to eat them yourself. (If you eat chicken anyway, this is a chance to eat chicken that you know lived a happy life first.)

Back
Top Bottom