Seaweed - Where to get it and how long does it last?

DigitalEd

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Upstate SC
Hey all,
I've seen DIY feed recipies that call for seaweed. A few questions:
1) Is it Kelp or are other types ok?
2) Where do you get it? (I used to live near the coast of Maine but that's a long ways off now)
3) If you buy it from somewhere, how long does it last? (i.e. Can I buy a large amount and still use it months and months later)

----- Ed

I ordered my kelp from www.noamkelp.com. The 50 lb bag I ordered will last longer than the lifespan of my chickens. I give a daily pinch of the stuff in their food once a day and it makes their yolks darker yellow. Too much, however, and the girls won't eat it as it has a faint fishy odor....not objectionable.

Quote:
My DW is looking at them. The debate is the 25lbs resealable bucket vs. the 50lb bag......and the winner is 50lb bag. The noamkelp folks say it'll last several years (3-4). Just don't store it anywhere humid (like the damp basement).

I get mine from North American Kelp (www.noamkelp.com) also. I live about 1/2 hour from where they harvest and process it, and I know its fresh. I feed it to my chickens, horses, goats, dogs and myself. Tastes like the ocean at low tide smells, but its great stuff. Its reasonly priced, and its granulated so its not dusty at all. Other brands are expensive AND dusty.

Last time I bought it, I paid 35.00 for 50 pounds. It lasted me, my 3 horses, 12 goats, 9 dogs, and 10 adult chickens over a year.

I bought kelp meal in spring. Paid $39 for 50 lbs. It is not to bad, and is a great feed additive IMHO. (at around 2% of a feed mix, 50 lbs of kelp goes a long long ways.)

If one is mixing their own feed I feel it is an important ingredient.

ON

Back
Top Bottom