Seaweed - Where to get it and how long does it last?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DigitalEd, Jun 25, 2010.

1. DigitalEd

DigitalEd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Hey all,
    I've seen DIY feed recipies that call for seaweed. A few questions:
    1) Is it Kelp or are other types ok?
    2) Where do you get it? (I used to live near the coast of Maine but that's a long ways off now)
    3) If you buy it from somewhere, how long does it last? (i.e. Can I buy a large amount and still use it months and months later)

----- Ed

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    You can buy seaweed from a petstore but it will be WAY too expensive....go to a japanese store......they'll have it.

3. gallusdomesticus

gallusdomesticus Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Lynn Haven, FL
    I ordered my kelp from www.noamkelp.com. The 50 lb bag I ordered will last longer than the lifespan of my chickens. I give a daily pinch of the stuff in their food once a day and it makes their yolks darker yellow. Too much, however, and the girls won't eat it as it has a faint fishy odor....not objectionable.

4. DigitalEd

DigitalEd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2010
    Upstate SC
    Quote:My DW is looking at them. The debate is the 25lbs resealable bucket vs. the 50lb bag......and the winner is 50lb bag. The noamkelp folks say it'll last several years (3-4). Just don't store it anywhere humid (like the damp basement).

5. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    I get mine from North American Kelp (www.noamkelp.com) also. I live about 1/2 hour from where they harvest and process it, and I know its fresh. I feed it to my chickens, horses, goats, dogs and myself. Tastes like the ocean at low tide smells, but its great stuff. Its reasonly priced, and its granulated so its not dusty at all. Other brands are expensive AND dusty.

6. americancowboy

americancowboy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    georgia
    its so expensive!!! i am making my own feed also and it calls for that but i am thinking of just leaving that one out.

7. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    For my dad's fish tank he gets it from the korean market store. It's fairly cheap and you can buy bulk or little bits.

8. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Last time I bought it, I paid 35.00 for 50 pounds. It lasted me, my 3 horses, 12 goats, 9 dogs, and 10 adult chickens over a year.

9. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
    I bought kelp meal in spring. Paid $39 for 50 lbs. It is not to bad, and is a great feed additive IMHO. (at around 2% of a feed mix, 50 lbs of kelp goes a long long ways.)

If one is mixing their own feed I feel it is an important ingredient.

ON

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by