Sebastapol geese hatching question

bigbird

Crowing
13 Years
Nov 14, 2008
Northern Kentucky
Hello: I have an r-com incubator which is really accurate. My eggs started hatching late Sat. Night. They are still trying to break through. When do I step in to help if at all? How much rime do I give them? Thanks.

Hello: I have an r-com incubator which is really accurate. My eggs started hatching late Sat. Night. They are still trying to break through. When do I step in to help if at all? How much rime do I give them? Thanks.
I'm dead set against helping a bird out of the shell. Weak birds result and many don't make it and if they live to adulthood, aren't worth breeding. Lots of folks dispute this, but that's my opinion. I want the strongest, healthiest fowl I can get. Give them all the time they need and if they don't make it, you don't need them.......Pop

Pop is probably right (not disputing you) but ...

I can't bring myself to let them just die. I admit, MUCH of the time, it does result in weak hatchlings, and they often die soon after I help them out. Some never stand.

But I have had times when the shell seemed to be too dry, and the hatchlings couldn't get all the way out. When I have intervened in cases like that, I often get strong healthy babies that can't be told apart from the ones that hatch normally. I have had it happen to either only one egg at a time, or half or more of the clutch, which probably means they were improperly incubated. (I hatch under the broodies, so I can't speak to humidity or anything controlled.)

I can't help but give them a chance, but that's just me. If you are setting up a breeding program, I must agree that ruthless culling of individuals from the program is necessary to create the strongest, healthiest stock, and that goes for any species.

I think you should go read what Pete55 says in his thread about Goose incubation and hatching. Look it up and near the back of the thread he talks about "helping" the geese. his argument is for it not against. He makes perfect sense. If I knew how to send you the link to it I would but I don't. Please read it though and help your babies!!!

Back
Top Bottom