Sebastopol eggs...

Quote:
I don't understand the part about "mothering ability" as my geese (Sebs) have been excellent parents, and two of my ganders were bought as adults from Holderreads-go figure!
I've had excellent hatch-outs under the goose and healthy goslings!

The hatch rate of waterfowl eggs in incubators is 40-50% if you're lucky.
I'm guessing that no matter what brand incubator you have they all work
about the same. I have cheap styrofoam ones ones that work just as good
as my expensive Brinsea.
If you are wanting Sebastopols to raise them for a quick buck they aren't the ticket.

Quote:
I don't understand the part about "mothering ability" as my geese (Sebs) have been excellent parents, and two of my ganders were bought as adults from Holderreads-go figure!
I've had excellent hatch-outs under the goose and healthy goslings!

You have to keep in mind that Mothering ability is a relative term for the whole breed and individuals can vary far from the norm. Also it is a matter of expectations, compared to ducks geese are great mothers. I have heard the complaint from other multi breed geese raisers that sebs are not great parents orthers insist their Sebs are great parents. You should feel happy that yours are good parents. Myself I am going to beleive the man who has raised thousands of geese.

Quote:
I tried that and the problem with that is if you live in a cold climate like I do, my geese start breeding/laying in mid February and my Muscovies don't get broody until May - June and by that time to geese are done laying.
I still have my Muscovies because they are great bug controllers but they haven't been helpful with hatching out my geese eggs.

Quote:
You can, SOME muscovies have hatched many geese and I know of geese breeders that use only Muscovies to incubate eggs because their hatching percentage is better that what they can get with incubators. Before you run off to stick your goose eggs under a Muscovy be aware of the risks involved. Sometimes the duck realizes when the goslings start moving and pipping in the shell that they aren't her eggs and she will roll them out of her nest, other times she will attack them after they hatch. usually a hatcher is kept hot and the eggs transfered into it when they start to pip so the breeder has the best of both, superior incubation under the duck and safe hatching in the hatcher.

Thanks for the extra info. That makes total sense, especially if the muscovy hen has already hatched scovie ducklings before, not so easy to fool her. I do that with the more $ eggs I sometimes let hens brood them, then the last day or two move them to a hatcher. Better safe than sorry. All these little tricks of the trade gets you one step closer to your goals. Thanks for taking the time to share. I don't even have geese, but some day... I tried last year but was not able to hatch anything from the eggs I bought. I "borrowed some eggs to hatch and got one live gosling that I gave back a day or two later. I don't think I'm advanced enough for geese yet.

Back
Top Bottom