Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

So sorry that you had to loose 3 geese before catching the coon. But soooooo glad you caught him!! Maybe this year's babies will replace some of your stock.
hugs.gif
Thanks. I hope so. It seems when ever you loose animals, it's always your favorite, sweetest, and best looking birds.
That is a BIG coon
He weighed about 15-20 lbs. He was big enough, but not the biggest we've seen. We shot a 30lb coon who had just brought down a wild turkey.
Trying to lure her (or is it a him?...I'm really not sure, just leaning "she") with a dish of our goose feed on our property edge. All I have is celery top for greens (anything else that may be semi-appetizing is in the freezer). With the Noreaster just starting here, everything will be covered in white in a short time. Hopefully she'll stick around and we can either find who owns her to return her, or just adopt her. Wish us luck! :0)

And, I'm open to any ideas on ways to capture her that ya'll may have! Thank you! :D
Good luck, I certainly hope you can capture her! Is she wild, or do you think she was someone's backyard goose who flew the coop?
Yikes! I did not realize racoons would go for geese! Glad you caught it.
It appears they do. We are very glad too. We set the trap again last night...didn't catch anything. Then this morning, after we let Rusty out of the trailer (a.k.a his prison..LOL), he went and set off the trap and proceeded to dig all around the trap. What a goof ball!
She's pretty! Good luck with trying to bring her in!
X2

~ Aspen

Trying to lure her (or is it a him?...I'm really not sure, just leaning "she") with a dish of our goose feed on our property edge. All I have is celery top for greens (anything else that may be semi-appetizing is in the freezer). With the Noreaster just starting here, everything will be covered in white in a short time. Hopefully she'll stick around and we can either find who owns her to return her, or just adopt her. Wish us luck! :0)

And, I'm open to any ideas on ways to capture her that ya'll may have! Thank you! :D
Oh my gosh! What a fun predicament- a stray goose. Maybe she's just a wild one that is young or lost her mate?
I do have 2 odd female ducks (mallard and scovy) that can totally fly in our flock.They scare the hell out of the chickens several times a day. I was sure they would take off, but they have each other and seem to like it here so....

Aspen- SO happy you caught the raccoon. Be vigilant though- there are always more. She might be a mom with a whole nest of babies somewhere.

Last edited:
Oh my gosh! What a fun predicament- a stray goose. Maybe she's just a wild one that is young or lost her mate?
I do have 2 odd female ducks (mallard and scovy) that can totally fly in our flock.They scare the hell out of the chickens several times a day. I was sure they would take off, but they have each other and seem to like it here so....

Aspen- SO happy you caught the raccoon. Be vigilant though- there are always more. She might be a mom with a whole nest of babies somewhere.
Yes, we feel the same way. There is a never ending supply of critters looking for a meal.
I can so picture the ducks scaring chickens lol. I have a huge young light brahma roo that's scared of everything, poor guy
LOL

~ Aspen

Update: I tried to get a pic of the stray goose with the Sebbies, but can't get the angle from inside the house. (It's freezing outside and I'm not going out! I've got old lady bones! ;) ) I feel badly for hijacking this thread, but I'm positive it was our Sebbies that lured her to us, so it seems fitting to share here. :D

Last night Gypsy (which my friend has now dubbed her) hunkered down in the farm field as the Noreaster was coming in. I didn't attempt to capture her for fear she would fly blind with the near whiteout conditions and get hurt. The snow settled down in the wee hours of the morning and I looked outside and could make out her dark silhouette inside the fenced in area where our Saxony ducks and chickens are! She stayed near the coop, next to the edge of light the coop cast out in the yard. That was at 1am. And when the sun came up she was still there!

What do you think the odds are of her being wild? Are there wild Toulouse geese? (That's the breed I think she is.) We have plenty of Canadian and Snow geese that come and go, but have NEVER come so close to our house before. I can't help but think she was a farm goose that was seeking companionship. She did fly away and come back once. So here is my dilemma...try to capture her and clip her flight feathers so she can't take off? Or, just let her come and go? I'm thinking what kind of liability is she bringing to us, should she escape and have something happen (biting someone, getting hit by a car, etc). We put several pics of her on our farm page, and would like to find the rightful owner to her. We'll see how this saga pans out. :0)

Update: I tried to get a pic of the stray goose with the Sebbies, but can't get the angle from inside the house. (It's freezing outside and I'm not going out! I've got old lady bones! ;) ) I feel badly for hijacking this thread, but I'm positive it was our Sebbies that lured her to us, so it seems fitting to share here. :D

Last night Gypsy (which my friend has now dubbed her) hunkered down in the farm field as the Noreaster was coming in. I didn't attempt to capture her for fear she would fly blind with the near whiteout conditions and get hurt. The snow settled down in the wee hours of the morning and I looked outside and could make out her dark silhouette inside the fenced in area where our Saxony ducks and chickens are! She stayed near the coop, next to the edge of light the coop cast out in the yard. That was at 1am. And when the sun came up she was still there!

What do you think the odds are of her being wild? Are there wild Toulouse geese? (That's the breed I think she is.) We have plenty of Canadian and Snow geese that come and go, but have NEVER come so close to our house before. I can't help but think she was a farm goose that was seeking companionship. She did fly away and come back once. So here is my dilemma...try to capture her and clip her flight feathers so she can't take off? Or, just let her come and go? I'm thinking what kind of liability is she bringing to us, should she escape and have something happen (biting someone, getting hit by a car, etc). We put several pics of her on our farm page, and would like to find the rightful owner to her. We'll see how this saga pans out. :0)

Here is my Gypsy ~
love.gif

~ Aspen

I wonder if she's a Greylag. Toulouse really can't fly long distances like that. Mine don't even try to get over a 3 ft fence.
I'd just let her come and go if it was me. Poor girl is probably relieved to find some feathered friends with shelter in that weather.

Looks like a little Ewok! Love it! :D

Yep...that is what our family calls her! Ewok! That is how everybody describes her! Heehee

Here is our other Ewok - Coconut

I wonder if she's a Greylag. Toulouse really can't fly long distances like that. Mine don't even try to get over a 3 ft fence.
I'd just let her come and go if it was me. Poor girl is probably relieved to find some feathered friends with shelter in that weather.
That would be very neat if she was a Greylag goose!

~ Aspen

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom