Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Great news and Congratulations
thumbsup.gif

Finally got my first successful hatch of the year last Friday!!
celebrate.gif

Congrats! The one on the right looks like he's up to something- lol!

I am so jealous of everybody with their extra babies! I have a few more eggs going, but this year has been really awful so far.

I have a question. Lucy my Sebastopol goose is 1 year old and fairly friendly,( to myself). I have 'ordered' another Sebastopol, this one is a gander. (same age, hatched last year). I will be picking him up in a couple of weeks. What, how..... is the best way to introduce them? This is my first experience with these geese. I hatched Lucy myself and she is somewhat of a spoiled baby. But she gets along great with my 2 runners and my 2 pet royal palms. Another question. She has started laying. If the new goose and her 'get' along, is there a chance that I could get fertile eggs or even have her turn broody and hatch some? I am aware that Sebbies only lay eggs for a certain amount of time (or their 'season'), not all year like some chickens may do. I am just not very knowledgeable when it comes to waterfowl and poultry mating and how long it takes for the eggs to 'start' being fertile.

Thanks,
Paula

Looks like you are in Washington State, so I guess there may be a SLIM chance that they will click quickly if you know what I mean. But geese are all individuals, it will be up to them for sure.

I'd introduce them through a fence if possible-- just in case. Sooner is better if you do want a chance at fertile eggs. My geese are winding down for sure, but I'm in Alabama and probably ahead of you somewhat.

Hope that helps!
~Kim

I have a question. Lucy my Sebastopol goose is 1 year old and fairly friendly,( to myself). I have 'ordered' another Sebastopol, this one is a gander. (same age, hatched last year). I will be picking him up in a couple of weeks. What, how..... is the best way to introduce them? This is my first experience with these geese. I hatched Lucy myself and she is somewhat of a spoiled baby. But she gets along great with my 2 runners and my 2 pet royal palms. Another question. She has started laying. If the new goose and her 'get' along, is there a chance that I could get fertile eggs or even have her turn broody and hatch some? I am aware that Sebbies only lay eggs for a certain amount of time (or their 'season'), not all year like some chickens may do. I am just not very knowledgeable when it comes to waterfowl and poultry mating and how long it takes for the eggs to 'start' being fertile.

Thanks,
Paula
Paula, this is Sherry Smith, are you the one getting my gander at the Canby swap?
big_smile.png

I would think if she just started laying and I am sure my gander will be happy to be with a girl and no other alpha males around that he would happily breed your goose, that you may very well end up with fertile eggs this year! As to if she will set, that is up to her, but I have 2 yearling geese setting now. Most of mine go broody at one point or another. Good luck!

Thanks guys! And great captions!!! The goslings were completely oblivious to me and the camera, but the greyhound happened to walk behind me during the "photo shoot". That got their attention!! I snapped this before all three of them lowered their heads and started telling the dog off!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom