Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys,

Today I found 2 eggs in my Sebastopol goose's nest. I replaced the hay on Sunday, so she must have laid one yesterday and one today. I read somewhere that you should leave 1 egg in the nest to encourage her to continue laying. Is that true? I left one down there, but I'd really like to put both of them in my incubator.

could you not put in a fake one or would the goose know its fake

also about the shaky legs try Niacin supplements

Hi all,
I have a 6 week old gander gosling that has really shaky legs. They quiver when he is standing or walking. I feed the following; free choice grass and 3 parts 20% grower and 1 part rolled oats and 2 pinches of brewer's yeast. This age group is outside 24/7. (besides locking them up in a coop at night) There is another 6 wk old gosling and 3-5 wk olds in with him and none of the others are doing this. I have niacin tablets I can add to the water, but don't want to overdo it. I also have nutri-drench, poultry vit and electrolytes. What do you suggest?

Holderread recommends 2-3 cups of brewer's yeast per 10 lbs of feed (or 5-7 lb brewer's yeast per 100 lbs of feed). That did the trick when my runner ducklings had shaky legs.

By the way peas are very high in Niacin and they like peas..
wink.png

Holderread recommends 2-3 cups of brewer's yeast per 10 lbs of feed (or 5-7 lb brewer's yeast per 100 lbs of feed). That did the trick when my runner ducklings had shaky legs.
WOW! That's a ton more yeast than I was using! It is expensive too. I think I will get some peas! Thanks all!

Next question;
I got 3 goslings shipped to me this am and one is having trouble walking. They are about 1 week old sebs. The one in question can stand, but kinda pushes backward. Then if it tries to walk, it pushes back hard and falls over on it's side. I am giving them nutri-drench in their water. Has anyone else seen this before? Or other leg problems after shipping? Any luck treating it?
Thanks again!

Daze you might want to get that gosling out and turn it on it's back and check the legs all the way down. By taking your index finger and thumb and in a rubbing motion start at the top of the leg and work down. If anything pops leave it alone you may have just put the joint back in. Also recommend to take some yarn or horse tape for horse legs and make a brace on the legs to tie them together. Tape the one leg right up at the elbow joint I call it, like if on your arm right in the elbow bend. Tape there and take the tape leave enough room in the middle so baby can walk normal and attach the tape around the other leg. Or you can use butcher string or yarn. Keep it of for a few days and see if you get results. But do run your fingers down each leg to make sure one in not out of joint. This can and does happen to goslings. Sure hope this might help you Daze..

Back
Top Bottom