Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

So I had some excitement a few days ago! My DH and I had our first baby about a month ago and moved into a new house right before she arrived so the geese kind of got thrown off their rockers right in the middle of breeding season. I gave some eggs to a friend who hatched some goslings and let the three girls set on their own clutches of eggs. One girl quit laying so I didn't have any of her eggs for her to set but she really wanted to be a mom so I gave some of the unmarked eggs that were collected right after the baby arrived (DH gathered them for me) and figured if anything hatched they would be a mixed lot.

Well we had a series of unfortunate events. One goose flaked out and got off her nest and didn't go back to sitting so we lost those eggs. ( I was still wandering around in a state of exhaustion from being a new mom myself!) and the other girl had a no good, rotten snake in her nest a week ago and her eggs were cold to the touch. As soon as the snake was removed she bustled right back in but nothing has hatched so I am going to have to risk life and limb to check and see if anything is alive in there!

Long story short I figured Sybil's nest (the last remaining nest) was no good too because it seemed like they should have hatched by now and two mornings ago I went out to this wonderful surprise!

Don't mess with momma!!!

Oh how cute!!!! Mazeltov!

Are those the genetic mom and dad? I wonder if they are sex linked colors- I had a pairing like that.
Unfortunately they are a mixed batch of eggs that weren't marked because DH was picking them up right after I had the baby.
th.gif
So much for being all organized and having breeding pens to keep track of pairs this year!!! There should be some of their genetic offspring in there potentially. I am wondering if the two dark ones are going to be saddlebacks
fl.gif
If anyone has any guesses on color please let me know! The potential parents are either the pictured pair or a lavender gander over a splash saddleback goose. I don't think any from my white gander over a grey goose hatched because I pulled those eggs the other day and they were late in shell death. I had the same problem with him and a different goose last year so I am starting to wonder if it is the gander? If so its a shame because he is a really nice boy but I don't know if I should even use him next year...

It does look like you have saddlebacks in there.
One of my pairings is a saddleback gander over a solid goose, and all the sb goslings are girls.(we only hatched 2 sb) Not sure if that always applies, but that is what Pete said about that particular pair.

just a question on the calcium deficiency issue. Could you give them ground up egg shells in their feed for that?

Oh my goodness! How wonderful would that be?! I have a serious shortage of girls here and several boys in the bachelor pad who I just can't part with. I think I found a good home for one smooth gander in that pen so he will be moving at the end of the month but I could really use some girls!
It does look like you have saddlebacks in there.
One of my pairings is a saddleback gander over a solid goose, and all the sb goslings are girls.(we only hatched 2 sb) Not sure if that always applies, but that is what Pete said about that particular pair.

parrot fiid that has alot of that stuffin it
[COLOR=800080]I am so sorry you lost your Lucy. But she did have some spoiling before her passing. If every you see a goose just sitting around like Lucy did make sure to get on it right away. When they lay eggs and then go into broodiness they have a calcium deficiency and need to be having extra calcium and make sure they eat by daily pushing them off the nest to relieve themselves and get a bath and eat. I have found now this is different, that my geese sebastopols like shelled nuts. They are very high in calcium. I go to good old Walmart and get the patio, porch and deck feed with all shelled nuts, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds pastico sp?, safflower. They love it..... I also give this to the ganders. That is something that helps them as well. I mix about a cup or a bit more to the daily feedings through the stress season and winter too. I change my feeding for winter to 300 pounds of multi flock and 200 pounds of oats. Then If it will be super cold I use this nuts mixtures for a boost in the daily rations....[/COLOR]

[COLOR=800080]The reason I tried this is because birds eats nuts and I seen them picking nuts up outside breaking them open and having nuts. We have different nut trees and I thought if we give sunflower seeds why not.[/COLOR]

they don't have that at my walmart but there is parrot food with most of that in there would that be ok?

I do not see why not. If they do not like something they will not eat it. Also in another bag there they have a nut and berry mix the geese like as well... I just one day went in and found that mix here at our walmart . Then found the nut and berry mix and tried them and they wiped their bowls of food out.

Went out this morning to take care of my animals and I looked into the goose pen and saw two cute yellow balls of fuzz!
They are both little girls and the cutest things ever! Mama and Papa goose a very happy!

Back
Top Bottom