Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Help! My year old, female, Sebby isn't doing well. I noticed her just sitting in the middle of the yard in some mud. I put food out, but she acted like she wasn't interested. I brought her in the house and filled the bath with water. It has been raining for the last few days, so their pool isn't the cleanest right now. She was so muddy. I have her cleaned and she seems to enjoy relaxing in the bath, when all of a sudden, she had this explosive watery poo shoot out! Not much color, just a light tan. What is diarrhea a sign of? I have been scanning thru the internet looking for anything, when I remembered this post. She had been sitting on eggs, (they are not fertile yet, just got the male and he is still young.) But I let her sit. She was really mean! And bruised up my had when I tried to take the eggs. So yea, I let her sit on them. Well she gave up a couple of days ago and was acting normal. Then today..... I don't know what happened...Lucy is a pet. I hatched her and raised her from a tiny gosling. Please someone give me some advice. Maybe some warm oatmeal? Yogurt? Some egg? I'm at a loss! I have given my dog a small amount of wheat bread when she had diarrhea and she got better real quick. I'm just not sure what to do with a goose.
Thank-you for any advice.
Paula

Paula- how long has she been like this? If its been raining for several days and the goose had been playing in the water for some time, watery poo isn't that uncommon. I would offer some greens and see if she eats soon. Hopefully she didn't swallow something non-food.

I noticed her acting different today, early this evening. She seemed fine yesterday and early this morning. After her 'bath' I dried her off with a warm hair dryer. She is curled up in a towel in my spare bathroom now. To be honest, I think she likes all the attention and spoiling. She went a few days without eating anything (at least not with everyone else) when she went broodie. I ended up putting her own bowls of food and water next to her nest. I'm not sure if she ate any or the ducks got to it. Maybe she just needs time to get back on her feet. I'm going to keep her in the house till she seems more like herself. Thanks. I'm going to try giving her some greens, also. She is my baby, so I tend to 'over worry' on her. I'll let you know how she is doing in the morning.
Paula

I noticed her acting different today, early this evening. She seemed fine yesterday and early this morning. After her 'bath' I dried her off with a warm hair dryer. She is curled up in a towel in my spare bathroom now. To be honest, I think she likes all the attention and spoiling. She went a few days without eating anything (at least not with everyone else) when she went broodie. I ended up putting her own bowls of food and water next to her nest. I'm not sure if she ate any or the ducks got to it. Maybe she just needs time to get back on her feet. I'm going to keep her in the house till she seems more like herself. Thanks. I'm going to try giving her some greens, also. She is my baby, so I tend to 'over worry' on her. I'll let you know how she is doing in the morning.
Paula
I would try to get some protein in her, like boiled eggs or meal worms if she will eat them. Or wet crumbles? And greens would be great too. Sounds like she might be undernurished from setting. Hope she perks up soon!

I wish I had good news to report.

Lucy peacefully past away this morning at around 10:30.

Just when I thought we were past what was wrong. She seemed better last night and even earlier this morning. She even ate a little this morning. I don't really know what happened. There was a noise, (I think she had some kind of seizure and knocked,) I ran in to see what was the matter, she was laying down. I picked her up, she looked up at me and laid her head on my arm. She closed her eyes and was gone. I have just been heartbroken all day. I did get to spoil her on her last night on earth. She got the nice bath, got blown dried with the warm hair dryer, and got to sleep on a soft pillow in the house.

I will miss you, Lucy.

Oh so sorry
hugs.gif

I am so sorry you lost your Lucy. But she did have some spoiling before her passing. If every you see a goose just sitting around like Lucy did make sure to get on it right away. When they lay eggs and then go into broodiness they have a calcium deficiency and need to be having extra calcium and make sure they eat by daily pushing them off the nest to relieve themselves and get a bath and eat. I have found now this is different, that my geese sebastopols like shelled nuts. They are very high in calcium. I go to good old Walmart and get the patio, porch and deck feed with all shelled nuts, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds pastico sp?, safflower. They love it..... I also give this to the ganders. That is something that helps them as well. I mix about a cup or a bit more to the daily feedings through the stress season and winter too. I change my feeding for winter to 300 pounds of multi flock and 200 pounds of oats. Then If it will be super cold I use this nuts mixtures for a boost in the daily rations....

The reason I tried this is because birds eats nuts and I seen them picking nuts up outside breaking them open and having nuts. We have different nut trees and I thought if we give sunflower seeds why not.

Last edited:
I wish I had good news to report. Lucy peacefully past away this morning at around 10:30. Just when I thought we were past what was wrong. She seemed better last night and even earlier this morning. She even ate a little this morning. I don't really know what happened. There was a noise, (I think she had some kind of seizure and knocked,) I ran in to see what was the matter, she was laying down. I picked her up, she looked up at me and laid her head on my arm. She closed her eyes and was gone. I have just been heartbroken all day. I did get to spoil her on her last night on earth. She got the nice bath, got blown dried with the warm hair dryer, and got to sleep on a soft pillow in the house. I will miss you, Lucy.
So sorry to read this.

OMG! I am such a dope! It all makes sense now. Yesterday, she didn't want to stand up. I checked and re-checked her feet to make sure nothing was wrong. She also wouldn't spread her wings like she normally did. I am a dope! I've just been around chickens for too long. But the calcium deficiency makes so much sense. Just wish I had known that a couple of weeks ago. A lesson learned in a very, VERY bad way. One I'll never ever forget! Thanks (to everyone). Now I'm worried about my gander, Rickie. I haven't had him very long. Do you think he has formed an attachment? Should I try and get another female? Or will he be alright for awhile? I'm still getting to know him. Haven't figured out his personally quite yet. He isn't as friendly as Lucy, but I had her from the start. Rickie just a few weeks. I think he will come around and be more friendly, it's just going to take some time. I don't want him to be lonely. He won't give up and die from all this will he?

Paula

So sorry for your loss.
hugs.gif
They are such special creatures. I think Rickie will be ok. It might not be as hard for him because he was only around her for a few weeks. I personally would find him a new mate though. My geese love each other and I just can't imagine them being alone because they are so bonded to one another and as a gaggle too!
OMG! I am such a dope! It all makes sense now. Yesterday, she didn't want to stand up. I checked and re-checked her feet to make sure nothing was wrong. She also wouldn't spread her wings like she normally did. I am a dope! I've just been around chickens for too long. But the calcium deficiency makes so much sense. Just wish I had known that a couple of weeks ago. A lesson learned in a very, VERY bad way. One I'll never ever forget! Thanks (to everyone). Now I'm worried about my gander, Rickie. I haven't had him very long. Do you think he has formed an attachment? Should I try and get another female? Or will he be alright for awhile? I'm still getting to know him. Haven't figured out his personally quite yet. He isn't as friendly as Lucy, but I had her from the start. Rickie just a few weeks. I think he will come around and be more friendly, it's just going to take some time. I don't want him to be lonely. He won't give up and die from all this will he?

Paula

Back
Top Bottom