Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

I have admired Muffin for a while. From afar of course :) All I want to raise here at this time is white and saddles. Lilac and buff are gorgeous but you- or I- have to draw the line somewhere.

Josie... Parsimonious is a joke. Try looking up what the word means and you can then enjoy why I put it up there. I am in southern central Maine.

Did I mention putting more hay out for the geese hoping they would get the hint and build nests? I don't think they heard me. All they are dropping right now are poops.

Josie I am glad you enjoyed the joke. If you know Maine you know why it works. I don't think many people get it without baby brains.
wink.png

Breakage is not the problem with shipped hatching eggs.
The problem is they get shook/detached air cells etc. and they're subject to extreme temperatures.
Know how hot or cold it is in the back of the semi trailers they're transported in?
In my opinion geese eggs do not ship as well as chicken eggs and even under good conditions
expect a hatch rate of 30 - 50%with geese eggs.

I've been shipping day old goslings all over the U.S. for several years now and only
had one incident where one gosling perished due to a delays at the airport.
Not one fall gosling or adult has died when shipped.

People think its more economical to buy hatching eggs but if you have a large
percentage of eggs that fail to hatch out you're set back on time and money.
People are much farther ahead to buy lives and I'm not saying this to try to promote sales.
I only take a few orders for day olds every year so this is a totally unbiased opinion.

Bliss is nice but I am looking at pattern as well as feathering. Feathers break and what not. I am not as worried about the condition of them in winter esp. but with saddles it would be nice if the some of the markings could be more like Muffins. Even in the Poms I have here its work to get it regulated.

Something to keep in mind when breeding saddlebacks. Dave Holderread told me to use the heavily marked SB as well because if you continue to breed ideal pattern SB x ideal pattern SB
you eventually lose the markings.

I've been shipping day old goslings all over the U.S. for several years now and only
So you do sell day-olds and ship them, then?

While I trust eggs being handled more than goslings, if you're willing to ship day-olds, I might request some of those, then!

Breakage is not the problem with shipped hatching eggs.

The problem is they get shook/detached air cells etc. and they're subject to extreme temperatures.

Know how hot or cold it is in the back of the semi trailers they're transported in?

In my opinion geese eggs do not ship as well as chicken eggs and even under good conditions
expect a hatch rate of 30 - 50%with geese eggs.

Not one fall gosling or adult has died when shipped.

People think its more economical to buy hatching eggs but if you have a large
percentage of eggs that fail to hatch out you're set back on time and money.

People are much farther ahead to buy lives and I'm not saying this to try to promote sales.
I only take a few orders for day olds every year so this is a totally unbiased opinion.

Precisely. And the bigger eggs tend to take much more damage in shipping probably because there is so much more room inside for everything to get shaken around.

Something to keep in mind when breeding saddlebacks. Dave Holderread told me to use the heavily marked SB as well because if you continue to breed ideal pattern SB x ideal pattern SB
you eventually lose the markings.

Can you try that again? Sewing brain is in gear right now not genetics. DH told you to use the geese with markings larger than they should be with those that have ... what? Less or ideal? I find ideal markings are nearly impossible. I have one Pom here who has nearly the right heart shape saddle, chaps and cap but her nape has a little break away spot of grey. [buzzer sound please] Breeding forward with the saddle back Sebs, or pied Sebs as it was called earlier, I am concerned with how a standard could even be adopted if it is too wishy washy on markings. Ms Vicky, you have had these for quite some time. So has Goose and Fig. What do you think about what the standard should read as so as to empower breeders to be able to meet it and have it be something judges could agree on as a standard?

Still no eggs.
roll.png

Verbena's foot is improving with just heat treatments and tea tree oil applied. Going to keep at that for now.

Cottage Rose, could you send me a price list? I'm in Ohio & have relatives in Alger, MI. If I make it up to visit them this year it may be worth my time to swing by you & pick up some sebbies before coming home.

Can you try that again? Sewing brain is in gear right now not genetics. DH told you to use the geese with markings larger than they should be with those that have ... what? Less or ideal? I find ideal markings are nearly impossible. I have one Pom here who has nearly the right heart shape saddle, chaps and cap but her nape has a little break away spot of grey. [buzzer sound please] Breeding forward with the saddle back Sebs, or pied Sebs as it was called earlier, I am concerned with how a standard could even be adopted if it is too wishy washy on markings. Ms Vicky, you have had these for quite some time. So has Goose and Fig. What do you think about what the standard should read as so as to empower breeders to be able to meet it and have it be something judges could agree on as a standard?

Still no eggs.
roll.png

Verbena's foot is improving with just heat treatments and tea tree oil applied. Going to keep at that for now.

Yeah on Verbenas footsie!
thumbsup.gif

The SOP (breed standard) is ALWAYS subject to who is interpreting it and there is nothing that can be done to the standard to make that any different.
I always like to tell the story about during my dog showing days...I once went to a 2 day show. Day one my dog placed 4th in class of 4 and day 2 under a diff judge the same dog placed 1st in a class of ten...so there ya go!

The Pom standard has a description of the pied or saddleback pattern, so therefore that would be what to aim for.
I'm not sure what the genetics factor is on breeding ideal (or preferred) pattern to ideal pattern but in time it gets diluted and you lose the dark feathered pattern
so you have to use the heavier marked birds to keep the SB pattern intact.
I have and use solid colored necked ganders and as an example Blueberry Muffins dad has a solid colored neck.
I guess the white neck x solid colored neck resulting outcome is about 50/50.
Talking to experienced Pomeranian breeders about this might be helpful.

Here is the classic pattern.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom