Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

One way you can sometimes stop her from going broody so soon, is to collect the eggs every day until YOU are ready for her to sit on them. She'll keep noticing no eggs in the nest, and it's likely to keep her "laying" hormones going until she feels like she has a good-sized clutch ready.

Didn't work with her :(

I collected her egg everyday first thing in the morning so she never had any eggs in her nest for more than an hour or so. After she laid the 4th egg I took it like usual but she decided it was time to start sitting eggs or no eggs lol. She sat on an empty nest for over 3 weeks and I felt so bad that I finally gave her eggs back to sit on.

Maybe she's smarter than I think
lol.png

I will just have to wait until next year for more eggs.

Thanks!!

Didn't work with her :(
I collected her egg everyday first thing in the morning so she never had any eggs in her nest for more than an hour or so. After she laid the 4th egg I took it like usual but she decided it was time to start sitting eggs or no eggs lol. She sat on an empty nest for over 3 weeks and I felt so bad that I finally gave her eggs back to sit on.
Maybe she's smarter than I think :lol:  
I will just have to wait until next year for more eggs.
Thanks!!

When my Chickens get broody I remove them from their pen and place them in a pen that has rain cover, water and food but no nest Usually after a week I can put them back and they go back to work But if I find them back on a nest then it's back to the time out pen as we call it ;) I have never tried it on my Sebbie s but I'm going to should she decide to!

Exciting news here! One of the pairs was seen mating [or attempting it] today! I don't know how much longer before there are eggs but its still exciting. I'll need more hay for nests now since most of it got used to keep the floors in their house covered. They've been shut in so many days this Winter.
roll.png

Exciting news here! One of the pairs was seen mating [or attempting it] today!  I don't know how much longer before there are eggs but its still exciting.  I'll need more hay for nests now since most of it got used to keep the floors in their house covered.  They've been shut in so many days this Winter.  :rolleyes:

Hay Ash
Good to know your still waiting for some eggs also! Rag's has been mating with Bella now for over a month and WOW what a little monster is he :D You can be very proud of your little man! ;)
Also, what color is he? (Thanks!) It's so funny how easy going Bella is compared to him!

Last edited:
My girls have only been laying for 2 1/2 weeks now and 4 of them are trying to set already! And one of them is a yearling! I use large and xl dog kennels for nest boxes. When they go broody/set, I take the tops off the kennels and herd them off their nests as often as I can. Essentially, I harass them until they leave the next. Usually doing this for about a week or so, they stop and go back to laying within the next couple of days to a week. Good luck!

I kept taking eggs from them, every day. I had to harass them out my first year as well-- not always easy btw, and then stole the egg until I was inundated and then just let her lay as many as she wanted and sit them. The incubator doesn't have room for another week or two so... hopefully the geese will hold off just enough for me.

I have suddenly had a 'bump' in the road. My one Seb gander has a limp. He isn't walking much at all and when he doe she limps. I inspected him today when he was let out and I discovered this new development. Obviously without working legs he isn't climbing on females soooo my breeding plans might be ... well, how do we say this without attitude or puns?? Ah! Spoiled.

I have suddenly had a 'bump' in the road. My one Seb gander has a limp. He isn't walking much at all and when he doe she limps. I inspected him today when he was let out and I discovered this new development. Obviously without working legs he isn't climbing on females soooo my breeding plans might be ... well, how do we say this without attitude or puns?? Ah! Spoiled.
I think it is pretty common to see sprains and strains during breeding season in geese and ducks. I was worried about mine once and took her to the vet for this. They gave her Metacam, which is a pain reliever and anti-inflammatory and had me keep her in a large kennel but where she could be near the other geese. This worked for my goose. After a week, she was right as rain.

Back
Top Bottom