Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Pics
I use a large (like trunk-sized) rubbermaid tub with papertowels for the first week...and then I use the same thing with pine shavings for another week. After that, I transfer them into the coop (with no run) for a while.

Then when they get larger, I take them outside and supervise them on the lawn.
smile.png

My MIL has an old coop that is split down the middle so last year I used the second half that she never does for brooding my goslings. It's about 8 x 8' and worked really well....she's got four turkey poults in there now...so I'll have to figure out something else once my goslings start hatching.

It's a rag that I put the new babies on until they get their footing. I will soak it in bleach water for a while then wash it.

The brooder is a plastic tote with the top cut out and very small hardward coth pop riveted to it. I have a taller one that I can put put 1-2 in when they get taller.

It uses a 60 watt bulb to heat them and works great for their first week or so.

I've got another pipping and then no more until next week.

If you can get one (and have room for it!) a fruit shipping crate makes an excellent brooder.

77358_decade_bin_-_fruit_thumb.jpg

They are plenty tall for goslings, can be fitted with roosts for chicks, and have vents to allow air flow & affix heat lamps without drilling.

THE BEST PART. The floor is flat plastic with holes for drainage and is elevated about 4 inches off of the floor.
Add a towel for a cuddly spot under the lamp, and you're done.

I'll take pictures of the inside of mine tomorrow.

I do not know how to post pics yet or even if I can. I have Sebbie goslings hatching under their mama today and now I am trying to decide if I am going to leave them there or bring them in. I do have them for sale, beautiful parents- standard quality, grey. Ok, after doing more research, these goslings are Sebbie/tufted Toulouse cross. and I am going to try to post a pic.
71079_sdc10379.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I hope you can figure out how to post pics- its on here somewhere how to....
I want a grey Sebbie someday! I'd love to see pics of these parents and goslings....
love.gif

Lisa

Hello all my fellow Sebbie lovers! I hatched these two beauties out about two weeks ago. I can't post pics as I'm having to do this with my phone, but my avatar is them cuddling. Can anyone take a guess at color and/or sex on these babies? According to the seller/breeder, they could be any color. She has everything from white to lavender to buff and everything in between so any ideas? Thanks for any help!

It's hard to say with all your color options!

Colored Sebastopols cannot be sexed by down color. You'll need to vent sex them to be sure.
To me... from what I can see in the picture... they could be... blue... lavender... or white. I think buffs are lighter, but I am not sure!

Thanks Balbinka! Although I hadn't posted till now, I've been following the progress of your little one. So so cute! These two babies are very special. I have wanted Sebbies for so long and this year was finally able to purchase some eggs. I bought eight eggs, three were infertile,and one developed a bad bacterial infection which left me with four growers. I was tickled pink, and the chicks were developing beautifully until two days before hatch. I woke up that morning dripping in sweat to find my heat pump had went up. It was almost two weeks ago when, at least here in Tennessee, it got down right HOT out. I normaly would have gotten up with the alarm (I was waking up every two hours throughout incubation to check the eggs) but for some reason that day the alarm didn't go off. So when I got up and realized what was going on I panicked and went running to check the eggs. They were all still alive but the damage had been done as I lost two fully developed goslings within the next two days. Luckily the two in the pic were strong enough to make it, (one I had to help) but I was still just heartbroken for a day or two. I'm looking now to see if anybody out there is still getting eggs from their Sebbies and if theyd be willing to sell a couple to me. Id love to get some of Cottage Rose's babies but I think she's all sold out for this year. She has AMAZING Sebastopols! Oh well, its worth waiting for superior quality, I just don't like to do it!
th.gif

If you know of anyone else with quality Sebbies that still has eggs or goslings to sell, keep me in mind. Thanks a bundle!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom