Sebastopol Geese Thread !!!!!!!!!! SHOW YOUR PICS !!!!!!!!!!

Pics
Ok i know i asked this question before but never really got a good answer. I was VERY lucky to have a neighbor who has some white elite or whatever they are called geese from Holderreads (before they sold out) who gave me quite a few eggs! These are from the first batch to hatch, i have 2 more hatching as I speak so we'll see what happens. Anyway out pops this dark one! I talked to him and he said as far as he knows all his birds where supposed to be pure white. He did also say his one goose was paired with an african but was separated for at least 10 days before he started collecting eggs. So i would think there is no way this little one would be a cross but maybe i'm wrong. If not could it be colored and if so any ideas of what color. It's feet are a little darker then the others. Could there have maybe been color way back or is it some freak thing? lol I'm keeping it to see what it grows up to be but i'm kind of impatient and would love the opinion of someone who knows more then me now. lol
Sunlea, we get any number like your little dark person every year. Very dark and heavily pigmented including that plum colored bill and even feet. There's an album under my profile that will show you that for us everybody grows up white. It's an old strain approaching 60 years of continuous breeding and we've been told that the darkies have been part of the picture from the beginning. Can't guarantee anything about your gosling but white wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I wanted to express my gratitude to Jean- thanks for the chance to hatch from your gorgeous flock and to Kimberly and Happy Mtn.- thanks for the suggestions and help

Photo of our little girl and her new friend that took me lots of phone calls and gas to find.
Finally after calling all over Middle TN to eventually find an African gosling not 10 minutes from the house.

Our newest hatchlings from over night

bf13cd19.jpg

Daze that is just a small snipet of what's really going on. LOL I have a complete surgery kit, hatching kit, and general medical supplies. I have general lighting, spot lighting and multi head surgical lighting available. Gauze, cotton balls, qtips, cauterizers, sterile water, IV bag, medications, ointments, vet wrap, supplements.

Hubby and I are serious about being prepared and both have medical backgrounds (his human mine animal) so we have our what if set ups. Never know when a toe nail might get broken. A paw or foot step on something. Or any other issue arise, so we are pretty set to handle most issues.

We even have temps splints to hold legs in place while transporting to the vet if needed.

I also egtopsies unhatched eggs to learn more, so it all comes in handy.

Wow! That is a bit more than my set up. I have flour for bleeds and olive oil to moisten membrane that is dried out and it makes the membrane see through so you can see if the veins have emptied. I have flashlights and paper towels, but that is about all I use. You are really set up for any emergency! I am so jealous of your animal medical education! I have always wanted that for myself! But we learn a lot from experience right?
Thanks for sharing!

egtopsies! LOL!

Last edited:
Awww -- congrats emmalynn! I know how desperate you felt! Been there before myself! Looks like you went with the African baby...good choice!

I wanted to express my gratitude to Jean- thanks for the chance to hatch from your gorgeous flock and to Kimberly and Happy Mtn.- thanks for the suggestions and help

Photo of our little girl and her new friend that took me lots of phone calls and gas to find.
Finally after calling all over Middle TN to eventually find an African gosling not 10 minutes from the house.

Back
Top Bottom