Sebastopol needs help

ducky213

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 29, 2012
Got this gosling at 8 days old, hatched Jan 20th, had sinus infection.. swollen area near beak by eye..tried VetRX and vetrycine eye gel to flush eye and got Baytrol injection, went away to only return 4 days later, another injection and went away.
Week later eyevon other side kept closed and looked irritated. Use Vetrycine eye gel to flush and they gave me Terramycin eye ointment for a week and no change then got Cipro eye drops and followed directions.
She is totally blind in that eye now, clouded over. Still closes it often and still doing drops 2x a day now until gone.
She was a singleton and is inside, gets baths, has deep bucket with fresh water, gets feed, greens (romane lettuce, cucumber, cabbage and anything else I can possibly get to eat), I have been TRYING desperately to get to eat grass to no avail! I try to take her outside daily for several hours to get her used to being outside in hopes I can find her (not 100% sure on gender but was dark grey, and is from a white line) a friend or 2 around the same age but it's been hard.
I worry because partially blind too..
Today I noticed this swollen, semi warm, redish area under her beak. Not sure if injured herself on new bucket, or if some sort of infection.
The vets locally do not see waterfowl or poultry, and meds given were after asking around and what little knowledge I had..
I just am feeling like I am failing this little one.. closest avian vet is 2hrs away.

Attachments

• 20210504_220215.jpg
    20210504_220215.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 12
That does look like fluid that’s settled from the infection. She might still have some sort of respiratory infection going on.
Antibiotic injections are typically more potent than if they’re taken orally so the fact that it started to go away but came back might mean that she has a bacterial infection that isn’t susceptible to those specific antibiotics but would be susceptible to others or her issue is fungal, parasitical or from a mycobacterium, OR she has multiple things going on.
In some ways I’m not surprised the Cipro eye drops didn’t work because Cipro is Baytril and if the injection didn’t work the eye drops probably wouldn’t either, Enrofloxacin is also Baytril.

If it helps I sometimes use this site as a symptom checker to try to narrow down possibilities. http://www.poultrydvm.com/views/symptoms.php
Geese don’t get a lot of the things chickens get but the chicken version has more to it, the duck symptom checker is less comprehensive but you can always try both. http://www.duckdvm.com/view/symptoms.php
Also fish antibiotics are the same as veterinary or human antibiotics https://www.countrysidepet.com/collections/fish Though they really should be given under direction by an expierienced avian vet to reduce the risk of creating drug resistant diseases, so if you do go ahead try to follow the dosage guidelines given for birds and keep on them for the duration of treatment.

Last edited:
I guess best course of action is calling the avian vet I know of and seeing if I can get in asap and drive the 2 hrs. She has been without any issue except one blind eye for over a month. . Thank you for your quick reply.
I just don't want to lose her or have her suffer either. She's already been the most expensive bird I have owned lol.. but I do love her dearly!

I guess best course of action is calling the avian vet I know of and seeing if I can get in asap and drive the 2 hrs. She has been without any issue except one blind eye for over a month. . Thank you for your quick reply.
I just don't want to lose her or have her suffer either. She's already been the most expensive bird I have owned lol.. but I do love her dearly!
That’s the best choice, a vet can better determine what’s wrong than I can, and I know how you feel, I’d do anything for y goosies too, they have that effect on people😌

Swelling and redness is gone, I was all set to call today, after got back from my trip yesterday, to make appointment and kept pestering my daughter and by the time I got home it was gone. Today no sign of it so I am assuming it was an injury. I think I am still going to call because I want to have her eye looked at, I don't want them putting her out though because I know it is extremely risky with birds being sedated.

Back
Top Bottom