Sebastopols. A cash crop?

I agree, I think all mine may be smooth breasted. One might have a little more than this one but is still not as heavy in the breast feathers as what they should have. I am looking for a very good male if anyone has one available. I don't mind if he is young or an older male.

Sometimes their feathers can grow in goofy,but as long as the wing is laying flat against the body there is not a problem. Sebastopol geese are prone to wing defects due to mutated feathers. I have some 4 and 5 year olds with perfect wings and others can have 1 wing effected by twisted wing tip and some with both. It is a very hard thing to get away from.Smooth breasted bird rarely have wing troubles. Young ones can also have stiff flights until they molt out. My geese are on a Turkey starter, mix with black oil sunflower seeds, whole oats , milo . Sounds like they are eating well and grazing on fresh grass is always the best and with your guardian livestock dog it sounds like they are well protected. I am sure they love being able to share the dog food with your dog as mine love it to.

Thank you so much
big_smile.png

I'm a staunch believer in grazing, water play and exercise. I panicked too many times when I saw a youngster struggling to keep it's wing up at 2-3 months old, because of the heavy flights full of blood coming in. If they are allowed to splash and run and play, it corrects itself most of the time. I give less dry food so they eat more green food (grazing). Is anything more fun to watch than young geese running around an splashing in and out of the water with their wings full out? They trip most of the time and fall flat-funny! Their parents often teach them this goosey technique!

Quote:
Grazing is always the best and mine would rather be grazing than standing at the food dish. I am very fortunate to be able to allow mine to be loose all the time. At night they go into pens by themselves and wait to be let out the next day. My Great Pyr , Moose keeps everyone safe. I just had a Momma peahen return with 7 new babies.

Back
Top Bottom