Sebbie Gosling colors? What determines Sex? What determines Colors?

MrsCountryChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
PA
I know there are many of you Long Time geese breeders Very Experienced in Determining definate info on goslings after hatching by colors.
smile.png
I'm wondering what differances determine Sex? & what differences determine wether you have a White Sebbie or a Saddleback Sebbie?

I read there is also a "Splash" Sebbie color of white with splashes of some random colored feathers on the body, with a total white head. What color differances would determine this as a gosling?

Splashes usually result in a white/color combo. In my experience, I got a solid gray female and 5 male splashes from a white to gray breeding. I don't know the color of either parent's parents, however, and that could make a huge difference! From a blue to gray breeding I got 3 blue and two gray. The gray had a solid white mother. No idea of the color of the blue's parents. This is the first year I'll have a gray/saddleback breeding-no clue what I'll get! The genetics of colors are very complicated! Good luck!
If you do a Seb search on this site, you will find many of the pics I and others have posted.

Thanks for the info
smile.png
I'll have to search for other color posts. I find the splash color Adorable. Although mine are all pure white.

I've been to Dorothy's place and I have to tell you that her Sebbies are gorgeous!! She has so many different colors and they're so beautiful. It's paradise just being there and seeing all of them.

Laurie

A Gray to a gray saddleback if the gray was not a carrier would result in all solid gray color and offspring would be SB carriers. If you use a white female bred to a colored gander the females will be colored and the ganders will be splashed . If you use a colored female to a white gander then you will have colored sons and splashed females. You are so right though , it is hard to understand color genetics.

It all depends on the genetics.
Since one typically does not know the genetics behind their bird
there is no way of pre-determining what colors you will get.
Much to my surprise I got gray saddlebacks and solid grays from a white goose
(from white parents and grandparents) bred to a saddleback gander.
Sometime during the off season (because he's too busy now) you should call Dave Holderread.
He has been breeding colored Sebastopols longer than anybody that I know of.
We do have some info on breeding colored Sebastopols on the Sebastopol forum.
Unfortunately there is no genetic documentation on breeding colored Sebastopols.
http://www.sebastopols.freeforums.org/

Quote:
Of eggs I sold from the breeding of a white female to a gray gander 2 female splashes were hatched (and laid eggs) out of 20 or so eggs from the gray gander/white goose breeding.. That IS IF my information is correct. There seems to be exceptions! The gander was a gray from Holderreads and the female I hatched from an egg from a Texas breeder. No clue what the color was of the grandparents.

Last edited:
If you get colored out of white birds they must be mixed somewhere down the line like the colored birds especially bred back to a saddleback, as that generally produces white and white with some dark spotting.

So is there no such thing as a splash (or spotted) Seb female? Are they considered a derivative of a saddleback? I am talking of colored to white, not white to white.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom