sebbie gosling w/ splayed legs

johnskoi

Songster
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Boydton, VA (relocated from Long Island)
My Coop
My Coop
long story short (well, as short as possible...)... had two broody peahens, a friend brought over some sebbie goose eggs, peas were young and inexperienced but were they were both sitting for about a month PRIOR to me placing the eggs under 'em --- about 2 and a half weeks into it, 1 egg was broke (fertile) by another peahen trying to join in the broodiness... i pulled the remaining 5 fertile eggs and placed them in my bator (left the remaining unfertile egg with the hens) ... --- NOT recommended as it seems to be TOO dry for goose eggs....

pipping started on sat --- chicks were unable to move much or break thru the outer membrane which was TOUGH -- i poked thru the membrane and removed some of the shell on the air sac end and saw they were severely shink wrapped -- i rehydrated by pouring bottled water in the egg being careful not to get it in the beaks (i had to work 3 of the beaks thru the membrane as well) ---- after putzing on and off, every 3 or 4 hours for two days, i was lucky enough to get ALL of them out ... it wouldn't have worked without having quickstop on hand for the bleeding events.....these guys were all extremely weak after hatching so i let them be until they were eating and drinking on their own..

3 have splayed legs on which i used the bandaid approach (that i use on peachicks)s yesterday afternoon --- this morning ALL 3 are walking fine with bandainds between their legs -- with peachicks, i can usually remove the bandaid after a day ... my question for now is....

... how long should i leave the bandaids on for?? THANKS
smile.png

long story short (well, as short as possible...)... had two broody peahens, a friend brought over some sebbie goose eggs, peas were young and inexperienced but were they were both sitting for about a month PRIOR to me placing the eggs under 'em --- about 2 and a half weeks into it, 1 egg was broke (fertile) by another peahen trying to join in the broodiness... i pulled the remaining 5 fertile eggs and placed them in my bator (left the remaining unfertile egg with the hens) ... --- NOT recommended as it seems to be TOO dry for goose eggs....

pipping started on sat --- chicks were unable to move much or break thru the outer membrane which was TOUGH -- i poked thru the membrane and removed some of the shell on the air sac end and saw they were severely shink wrapped -- i rehydrated by pouring bottled water in the egg being careful not to get it in the beaks (i had to work 3 of the beaks thru the membrane as well) ---- after putzing on and off, every 3 or 4 hours for two days, i was lucky enough to get ALL of them out ... it wouldn't have worked without having quickstop on hand for the bleeding events.....these guys were all extremely weak after hatching so i let them be until they were eating and drinking on their own..

3 have splayed legs on which i used the bandaid approach (that i use on peachicks)s yesterday afternoon --- this morning ALL 3 are walking fine with bandainds between their legs -- with peachicks, i can usually remove the bandaid after a day ... my question for now is....

... how long should i leave the bandaids on for?? THANKS
smile.png

Congrats on a great hatch, I've not had to deal with slayed legs before so can't advise except to say make sure the gosling aren't on slick surfaces which can make it worse.

Usually a day or two does the trick - Congratulations
thumbsup.gif

Congrats on a great hatch, I've not had to deal with slayed legs before so can't advise except to say make sure the gosling aren't on slick surfaces which can make it worse.
thanks
wink.png
-- got 'em on towels over a media that helps keeps 'em drier

Usually a day or two does the trick - Congratulations
thumbsup.gif
cool -- i'll leave 'em on til tomorrow and thanks
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom