sebright bantams when do they lay

johunter103

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 1, 2009
Hello,
I am very new to chicken keeping and have 2 beautiful sebright bantams. I was worried that one may be a cockrel as he/she shouts for attention and when they want food it is not a cockrel sound though. They both look the same and are 21 weeks. I have checked out some of the forums and they do not display any features of a cockrel as yet. Can anyone tell me when they start laying? Also any tips on what treats to give them. They love pomegrants, corn, blueberries and bread as well as there usual food. I would really appreciate any advice. Thank you, Jo:)

Sebrights are not noted for laying ability, and often regardless of when they are hatched they do not lay until the following breeding season. Its not unheard of for them to go a few weeks then and then stop and not lay until the next breeding seasons. Usually the roosters combs turn red way before the hens and should be showing that now. Otherwise, until waiting for the crow, it can be very hard in good sebrights to determine the sexes until they are older. Both sexes are supposed to look alike, tho' later his wattles and comb are larger, redder, hers small and dark, he may have a couple of sickle feathers longer than the others in which case while he shouldn't win at shows he is thought to have better fertility. normally their tail lengths etc. are the same as the hens - hence the "henny" cock. Hope this helps some.

Quote:
A beg to differ on a lot of that. Even though mine are hatchery stock, regardless, I've heard of Sebrights laying fairly well. And what do you mean by "breeding season"? Chickens don't have a particular breeding season like turkeys and produce year round. And the comb/wattles should be getting larger and redder after 4-6 weeks. That is when I started noticing mine compared to the hens. Not several months afterwards. The lack of pointed sickle/saddle/hackle feathers is called Hen-Feathering.

ETA: OP, I received mine last September and they started laying between late Feb. to mid March.

Last edited:
I've had both silver and golden sebrights. They only laid eggs in the late spring and early summer. As soon as the weather got warmer, they stopped laying and didn't lay again till the next spring.

What a relief to read your post jhm47! Thank you for telling us about your Sebrights' laying patterns Maybe that is why my Silver-Laced Sebright has not laid for 5 days. It is the first day of summer, after all, and we have had record-breaking heat here. So good to know!

I have Sebright/Modern Game X Pullets. They are 6 months, and haven't started laying or singing. Maybe we should feed laying pellets.

This info is very helpful to me as well. I have a pair of silver sebrights and the hen is approx 40 weeks and is ahowing no signs of being ready to lay any time soon. My little roo is very much in love with all the other hens though! If I want to colle t her eggs for hatching am I correct in aiming for spring and spring only?

My little gal stopped laying the first day of summer, again this year. LOL She's such a beauty that she knows she can get away with this, forever!

my silver sebrights are show quality and they are almost 7 months old and just noticed that they are singing. I did not know that they did that. Does that mean that they are very close to laying? Any advice would be helpful

I am being shipped a 7 month old show quality silver Seabright and I need to think of a really good name for him. He has 5 show quality girls waiting on him and I should receive him tomorrow. Anyone can help me with some names?

Back
Top Bottom