sebright color crosses

Megs

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
hi all, i am curious to know if you have a silver sebright rooster and a gold sebright hen what color do they produce? i dont have room for another pen, but i want to have a few gold hens with my silvers, and i incubate their eggs quite frequently so wanted to know if i would get a weird cross or silver or gold.

Quote:
Which clams are you referring to?

If you cross a Golden Sebright over a Silver Sebright you will get (as adults) Black patterned Yellow/Golden laced Males and Black patterned Gold laced Females.
If you cross a Silver Sebright over a Golden Sebright you will get (as adults) Black patterned Yellow/Golden laced Males and Black patterned Silver laced Females.
This cross works the same as if you cross a Golden Duck-wing with a Silver Duck-wing or a Rhode Island Red and a Columbian Rock. It is a "Sex-link" cross.

Chris

Does it work the same for the Buff seabrights hens and the silver seabright Roo, as it does for the Golden and Silvers?? Just wondering if it was because what I have is a silver seabright Roo and ! silver seabright Hen and one Buff or what Ideal referred to as A Buff seabright? I have a set of mixed seabright eggs under a broody and it would be great to be able to sex them early on.
Thanks Sandy

Genetics 101

You will not be able to sex the chicks if the cross is silver male over buff or gold sebright. Read the following it explains why in detail.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Silver male X buff female = all white offspring ( assuming female carries two dominant white alleles)

In the above cross, the male will contribute one of his sex linked silver alleles ( incompletely dominant) to everyone of his offspring and the female will only contribute one recessive sex linked gold allele to the son. The sons will be heterozygous silver/gold while the daughters will be hemizygous silver (carry one silver allele). Every offspring will inherit a dominant white allele from the mother therefore any black lacing will be diluted to a white color. White lacing on silver produces a white bird.

Both birds are genetically the same with respect to the other genes that would effect the secondary color pattern: birchen, dark brown, pattern, melanotic and columbian. The birds need to homozygous ( have two identical alleles) for all of the genes to produce the standard sebright lacing.

silver male X buff female = white offspring and silver offspring ( assuming female carries one dominant white allele)

Same as above but the female only gives the dominant white gene to half of the offspring which will produce white offspring . The other half will receive the non-dominant white allele which will produce a silver sebright with black lacing.

The buff bird may also carry autosomal red. This is a catch all term for any red ( any variation of red) color that appears on purebred silver birds. This red is not due to the gold allele. If the buff bird carries autosomal red then some of the prebred silver birds will show some variation of the red on their bodies. Purebred silver means the birds only carry the silver gene. Both the silver and the whites will leak some red/buff color.

The heterozygous silver/gold males will yellow because of the incomplete dominance of the silver allele. This means as the birds get older they will tend to show yellow color in their feathers.

Tim

Last edited:
Hi Everyone - I appreciate this thread is now quite old but since it ties in with a project I currently have underway I thought a few photos and observations from my project might be "useful"? There is a LOT of hypothesis out there as to which genes contribute to the "Citron" Sebrights so I wanted to share some "actual" results.

I started with a Citron sebright hen and bred her to a Silver pekin roo. That's my Citron on the left.
Nugget & Lacey.jpg Original Pekin Roo 1.JPG

The product of that pairing resulted in 3 babies - two roosters and one hen. The chicks looked very sebrighty - birchen colour type and the typical cream face/breast. Upon maturity the roosters were as expected - silver with the "odd" gold feather leakage. This is consistent with the expectation that any roosters would carry one silver and one gold gene. The "odd" gold feathers were quite distinctive in that the gold coloured exactly one half of the feather and was lighter than the typical sebright gold. I wondered if this "could" be the influence of the Citrone genetics at work but obviously wanted to test further. The third picture here are not those actual chicks but more recent chicks that look very much the same - as an example.

Sebright Babies - 3 Weeks - Silvers.jpg Romeo Feather 2.JPG Sebright Babies - 8w.jpg

Sadly I lost the original Citrone hen to illness so I bred two of her three chicks together. I had a bit of a disaster season due to predators, achieving only one chick and losing the three project birds :( The resulting roo chick, pictured here, is S+/S- - he exhibits the gold leakage though it is very difficult to tell if it is diluted. He's a proper lolly scramble on the scale of patterning (shows a bit of everything) but otherwise is quite a nicely proportioned bird and has been an excellent rooster.

Rusty Closeup 2.jpg Rusty Rooster 1.jpg

So this season I'm breeding Rusty to the unrelated silver sebright hen (in the original photo with the Citrone) and so far have the following chicks:

From the first clutch: One roo that looks to be all silver (pictured). Two pullets that are silver (they look just like this roo). And one pullet that is gold - it's a little hard to tell at this early stage but I have moments when I think her gold might be diluted/Citrone so I am watching her development VERY carefully.

From the second clutch: There are three young silvers - as yet too young to sex or see leakage (if any).

From the third clutch: Eggs are in the incubator and due to hatch soon!

Sebright Baby - 8w - Birchen Silver Closeup.jpg Sebright Baby - 8w - Birchen Gold Above2.jpg

I'm working on the basis that Citrone is a separate gene in play that acts to dilute Gold. I don't know exactly "what" to call this gene is at this stage - there's a lot of information out there - most of which is contradictory - but it seems likely it is an Ig or Di type gene. Based on my reading, there is strong support that this gene is predominantly present in the Silver birds, apparently to dilute or reduce any unwanted "dirtying" of the silver - to produce a cleaner silver.

It is my understanding (based on what the breeder my original Citrone came from said) that you can cross a Silver bird with a Gold bird to achieve a rooster progeny that is S+/S- (also with Ig?/- ??). This rooster progeny can then produce Citrone hen babies (as is apparently how my Citrone hen came to be). What I "don't" know is whether that second pairing was to a silver hen (which then follows that the Citrone hen received an Ig gene from both mom and dad?) or to a gold hen (which then follows that the Citrone hen received only one gene from dad).

Last edited:
Black lace white, black lace gold ... The nomenclature should be standardised -lol-
I'll bring up the chicken calculator as they've made some upgrades to it. I've seen quite a few citrons on Instagram - Germany has a great show birds.

I'm putting together a little project to make gold and silver Modern Game Bantams using Sebrights. If I can get my hands on some at this weekend's poultry show!

http://kippenjungle.nl/chickencalculator.html

Have a great season, everyone!

is the buff a recognized color or just a pretty unrecognized color? they are beautiful, i wouldnt mind breeding some of those!

No. GoldxSilver DOES NOT creat Buff Sebrights.

It depends on who the parents are. If the father is Gold and the mother is Silver, then all hens will be Gold and the roosters will be an off color of the two. Same thing happens with a Silver rooster and Gold hens, only the hens will be Silver. The roosters will still be the same.

Back
Top Bottom