sebright color crosses

Does anyone have any pictures or citations to back up any of these claims? I'm curious as to what would happen myself.

Quote:
Which clams are you referring to?

If you cross a Golden Sebright over a Silver Sebright you will get (as adults) Black patterned Yellow/Golden laced Males and Black patterned Gold laced Females.
If you cross a Silver Sebright over a Golden Sebright you will get (as adults) Black patterned Yellow/Golden laced Males and Black patterned Silver laced Females.
This cross works the same as if you cross a Golden Duck-wing with a Silver Duck-wing or a Rhode Island Red and a Columbian Rock. It is a "Sex-link" cross.

Chris

Quote:

If you cross a Golden Sebright over a Silver Sebright you will get (as adults) Black patterned Yellow/Golden laced Males and Black patterned Gold laced Females.
If you cross a Silver Sebright over a Golden Sebright you will get (as adults) Black patterned Yellow/Golden laced Males and Black patterned Silver laced Females.
This cross works the same as if you cross a Golden Duck-wing with a Silver Duck-wing or a Rhode Island Red and a Columbian Rock. It is a "Sex-link" cross.

Chris

Does it work the same for the Buff seabrights hens and the silver seabright Roo, as it does for the Golden and Silvers?? Just wondering if it was because what I have is a silver seabright Roo and ! silver seabright Hen and one Buff or what Ideal referred to as A Buff seabright? I have a set of mixed seabright eggs under a broody and it would be great to be able to sex them early on.
Thanks Sandy

Last edited:
Quote:

Chris

Does it work the same for the Buff seabrights hens and the silver seabright Roo, as it does for the Golden and Silvers?? Just wondering if it was because what I have is a silver seabright Roo and ! silver seabright Hen and one Buff or what Ideal referred to as A Buff seabright? I have a set of mixed seabright eggs under a broody and it would be great to be able to sex them early on.
Thanks Sandy

Genetics 101

You will not be able to sex the chicks if the cross is silver male over buff or gold sebright. Read the following it explains why in detail.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Silver male X buff female = all white offspring ( assuming female carries two dominant white alleles)

In the above cross, the male will contribute one of his sex linked silver alleles ( incompletely dominant) to everyone of his offspring and the female will only contribute one recessive sex linked gold allele to the son. The sons will be heterozygous silver/gold while the daughters will be hemizygous silver (carry one silver allele). Every offspring will inherit a dominant white allele from the mother therefore any black lacing will be diluted to a white color. White lacing on silver produces a white bird.

Both birds are genetically the same with respect to the other genes that would effect the secondary color pattern: birchen, dark brown, pattern, melanotic and columbian. The birds need to homozygous ( have two identical alleles) for all of the genes to produce the standard sebright lacing.

silver male X buff female = white offspring and silver offspring ( assuming female carries one dominant white allele)

Same as above but the female only gives the dominant white gene to half of the offspring which will produce white offspring . The other half will receive the non-dominant white allele which will produce a silver sebright with black lacing.

The buff bird may also carry autosomal red. This is a catch all term for any red ( any variation of red) color that appears on purebred silver birds. This red is not due to the gold allele. If the buff bird carries autosomal red then some of the prebred silver birds will show some variation of the red on their bodies. Purebred silver means the birds only carry the silver gene. Both the silver and the whites will leak some red/buff color.

The heterozygous silver/gold males will yellow because of the incomplete dominance of the silver allele. This means as the birds get older they will tend to show yellow color in their feathers.

Tim

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks Sandy

Genetics 101

You will not be able to sex the chicks if the cross is silver male over buff or gold sebright. Read the following it explains why in detail.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Silver male X buff female = all white offspring ( assuming female carries two dominant white alleles)

In the above cross, the male will contribute one of his sex linked silver alleles ( incompletely dominant) to everyone of his offspring and the female will only contribute one recessive sex linked gold allele to the son. The sons will be heterozygous silver/gold while the daughters will be hemizygous silver (carry one silver allele). Every offspring will inherit a dominant white allele from the mother therefore any black lacing will be diluted to a white color. White lacing on silver produces a white bird.

Both birds are genetically the same with respect to the other genes that would effect the secondary color pattern: birchen, dark brown, pattern, melanotic and columbian. The birds need to homozygous ( have two identical alleles) for all of the genes to produce the standard sebright lacing.

silver male X buff female = white offspring and silver offspring ( assuming female carries one dominant white allele)

Same as above but the female only gives the dominant white gene to half of the offspring which will produce white offspring . The other half will receive the non-dominant white allele which will produce a silver sebright with black lacing.

The buff bird may also carry autosomal red. This is a catch all term for any red ( any variation of red) color that appears on purebred silver birds. This red is not due to the gold allele. If the buff bird carries autosomal red then some of the prebred silver birds will show some variation of the red on their bodies. Purebred silver means the birds only carry the silver gene. Both the silver and the whites will leak some red/buff color.

The heterozygous silver/gold males will yellow because of the incomplete dominance of the silver allele. This means as the birds get older they will tend to show yellow color in their feathers.

Tim

Gotcha
smile.png
But it kinda sucks cause I was looking forward to knowing which chick was a boy and which was a girl, As an upside, my seabrights showed their gender fairly early anyway.
smile.png

So... What would happen if I mate a buff rooster with a golden hen and then breed the offspring with another golden hen... Would the second generation give me a solid gold colored rooster?

So... What would happen if I mate a buff rooster with a golden hen and then breed the offspring with another golden hen... Would the second generation give me a solid gold colored rooster?
yeah i wanna know too! Hope someon can answer this question.

buff roo with gold would give you all buff laceds(if he is pure for the buff/dominant white part). breeding the offspring with golds would give half buff laceds half gold laceds and so it will continue that way for generations.

this is because the only genetic difference between buff and gold is buffs having dominant white... which changes black pigments to white yet leaves red/gold pigments mostly untouched. in other words, a buff laced IS a gold laced, with dominant white added. That's it.

to get solids would have to lose the lacing genes and making solid buff bird is a challenge too all by itself.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom