sebright thread

Pics
Can anyone help with sexing these 2 Goldens. I got them from a breeder and he sexed them using a weight and string over their heads. He said both were girls. Im including a pic of the day we got them for age reference because his partner mixed 2 batches together.

Here they are now
Chicken Little

And Chocolate

Im thinking they are between 4-7 weeks..THANKS!!!

I'm very inclined to say both are cockerels.

I HAVE THE WORST LUCK!!!!!! 2 RIRs both ended up being boys, 2 Marans..both boys, 2 Wyandottes..looking like boys and now my Sebrights also
hit.gif

How long should I wait to be sure and how old do you think they are? Thank you for your help!

I HAVE THE WORST LUCK!!!!!! 2 RIRs both ended up being boys, 2 Marans..both boys, 2 Wyandottes..looking like boys and now my Sebrights also
hit.gif

How long should I wait to be sure and how old do you think they are? Thank you for your help!
At least one is a cockerel.
I heard my SL Sebright cockerel crow at about 2 months old. So you should know for sure shortly here.

I was told that breeding a Golden roo to a Silver hen will often render Buff Sebrights. I'm attempting that, now. The 2 girls (the Golden hen is VERY young and has just started laying) lay: Silver 2-4 per week, the Golden has just started and I get maybe 1-2 per week. BUT, it is also still very early in the year, and coldish, sooo...Not too bad, compared to what I was expecting from being told that they weren't good layers.

Another point about Sir John Sebright; He invented Darwin's "Natural Selection Theory, actually. Darwin asked the livestock developer (Sir John liked all sorts of domestic animals) to talk to him about his theories. Darwin got the credit, Sir John has a chicken (The only chicken named for a man, I've read) named after him.

My Golden Roo attacks EVERY hand that enters his tractor, be it feed time, watering time, treats time; ATTACK! Survival of the fittest, I assume. He's defending his two ladies. As I am 6-4/220 and he's maybe 9" or 10" tall and 1/2 pound-ish(?), I'd say that he has courage. I like him. I think he's a lil Ranger, he just won't surrender, as is proper.

I was told that breeding a Golden roo to a Silver hen will often render Buff Sebrights. I'm attempting that, now. The 2 girls (the Golden hen is VERY young and has just started laying) lay: Silver 2-4 per week, the Golden has just started and I get maybe 1-2 per week. BUT, it is also still very early in the year, and coldish, sooo...Not too bad, compared to what I was expecting from being told that they weren't good layers.

Another point about Sir John Sebright; He invented Darwin's "Natural Selection Theory, actually. Darwin asked the livestock developer (Sir John liked all sorts of domestic animals) to talk to him about his theories. Darwin got the credit, Sir John has a chicken (The only chicken named for a man, I've read) named after him.

My Golden Roo attacks EVERY hand that enters his tractor, be it feed time, watering time, treats time; ATTACK! Survival of the fittest, I assume. He's defending his two ladies. As I am 6-4/220 and he's maybe 9" or 10" tall and 1/2 pound-ish(?), I'd say that he has courage. I like him. I think he's a lil Ranger, he just won't surrender, as is proper.
Breeding a Golden to a Silver will not produce Buff Sebrights, not in the F1 generation at least.

If you cross a Golden cock with a Silver hen, all pullets will be Golden like the father and all cockerels will have one copy of gold and one copy of silver, resulting in a light golden/yellowy silver color. If a Silver cock was crossed with a Golden hen, then the pullets will be Silver, but the cockerels would be the same as the previous cross. That's just the F1 generation. I believe if you keep making certain breedings with these birds that you will eventually end up with the Buffs.

I am new to Sebrights and I am just wondering about their laying. I got my flock of 11 adult birds (7 hens) last week and as of yet I have not gotten a single egg. Do you have to feed them something special to get them to lay?

hit.gif

mine are 5 weeks old and it is fairly obvious which are male and female.

I am new to Sebrights and I am just wondering about their laying. I got my flock of 11 adult birds (7 hens) last week and as of yet I have not gotten a single egg. Do you have to feed them something special to get them to lay?

Quality high protein feed is good, Gamebird Breeder feed (made for quail etc) is appropriate. But more important is the lighting and temperature. They do best with 10 to 16 hrs light, increasing slightly each week. And if the temp drops they may stop laying for a short while. How old are they? older sebrights lay better when the temp warms up, summer time depending where you live.

Back
Top Bottom