sebright thread

Pics
jklyles looks like a roo to me
hmm.png
but wait a few more weeks and see...
X2

Yep, he's already getting the little pip at the end of his comb. The hens do that much later than the roos, from my experience, albeit limited with 'Brights.

What do you mean by "estrogen-vs-testosterone competition"? There is really no competition. The testosterone their testes produce is converted to estrogen in their skin, which then produces the henny feathering.
I read that in a genetics study report on the Sebright. What I described (and I may have done it poorly) is the reasoning that the geneticist gave for the cases where many (not all) Sebright Roos will display sex feathers in their 1st year feathering. There isn't enough estrogen to create the henny feathering in adolescence, in many cases. I haven't raised a cockerel through that stage, yet, so I have no practical experience in the discussion. My lil cockerels are henny, right now, but they are also too young to display sex feathers, anyway. All 3 of the cockerels have the comb pip, and 1 is actually crowing, tho it sounds more like a crow's caw, at present. The other 2 Silver 'Bright chicks are teeny and I am fairly certain that they are pullets.

ARGH! Not too good, on the pics, but...you guys get the idea. Those are Silver Duckwing Phoenix Bantams, with them.

Last edited:
Do you have a link to the study you read? I would think that since there isn't enough estrogen, that would mean not enough testosterone either, which would make sense since they are adolescent and haven't reached sexual maturity yet.

If you could find the study that would help a lot. I'd like to know whether or not the birds used had one or two copies of the hen-feathering gene. Hen-feathering is either co-dominant or incompletely dominant (can't remember which, I get the two confused often haha).

i am very interested in any and all research about them as well... i am mulling around with creating dun laced silver and golden Sebrights as well as working on my own line of lav laced silvers... i don't think lav laced Golden's would work but i am not sure if the golden would get diluted by the lav like red does or not...

i am very interested in any and all research about them as well... i am mulling around with creating dun laced silver and golden Sebrights as well as working on my own line of lav laced silvers... i don't think lav laced Golden's would work but i am not sure if the golden would get diluted by the lav like red does or not...
Go to scholar.google.com and search whatever you like. Journal articles and studies will come up related to what you search (be forewarned, scientific language is often use and even get's confusing to me sometimes).

If you go to feathersite and search Sebrights, you'll see a picture of a Lilac Sebright. I think that's what happens when you add the lav to the Golden's.

I have just spent about 2 hours searching for that article. Some day I will learn to save stuff like that, or send it to my e-mail addy when I find something interesting while I'm at work. I apologize for opening the can without having first saved the source for later citation. I have not given up, but have little hope of finding it. The search continues...

scholar.google was where I found it, I believe. I have read so many studies, this morning, that my brain is about fried. You do realize, of course, that according to Murphy's Law, I will never be able to find the questioned article because I spouted off without citing the original source? I believe that was pointed out to me by my Comp II Professor, as "a fact of life!" It is one of those inalienable truths that I have never been able to disprove...

Oh I know that feeling. Happened to me once when I was trying to explain to someone that the use of rBST in dairy cows resulted in more of a certain compound known to cause cancer or something of that sort
roll.png
But if you can't it, I won't hold it against ya
lol.png
If I ever find an interesting article, I'll be sure to save it and post it, too.

Back
Top Bottom