sebright thread

Pics
In addition, I'd also check these things:

1. Make sure they have adequate calcium
2. See if they're hiding the eggs somewhere
3. Find out if they are eating the eggs or if someone/thing is taking them
4. Feel the hens' abdomens to make sure there are no impactions/infections

Minimizing stress in general will help, too.

Well... I've realized today that my beautiful but annoying little rooster is a whining baby. The past week he has been crowing so much, especially when people are outside and around the coop. Yesterday I decided to give them some cracked corn as a treat. We were supplementing their feed with it during the winter for extra carbs. Now that it's getting warmer out we've taken it away. Low and behold, today he had only 2-3 crowing fits rather than the normal 10-ish. Whiny little brat lol

That's funny, I have a silver laced that will NOT shut up when you are outside lol, lol little fella drives me crazy lol One would think he would get a sore throat from all of that crowing lol

hey folks! love seeing the pictures. I have ONE sebright in my flock. she was the only one from my previous flock who survived mareks which was pretty incredible given how little she is. (her picture is my avatar). She is a spoilt little brat who screams and throws tantrums for treats, and insists on coming inside to perch on my fridge in the night, as you can see in my avatar. tons of personality. beats up my buff orpington like there's no tomorrow. crows like a rooster. she's nuts, and adorable. She also lays a ridiculous amount of eggs.

her comb looks very different from the pictures posted in this thread. She has a very dark comb, which is also red in places, but mostly black. does anybody else have sebrights like that? is that what the GYPSY face is?

Yes a dark face and comb is very desirable! Sebrights that get out in the sun alot develop nice dark faces. I always thought the darkness around the eye gives a nice "eyeliner" look that belongs to top quality sebrights.
Sometimes the face will redden when pullets come into lay or when they spend lots of time indoors (like mine unfortunately). So before a show i take them outside in the afternoons.
It is much harder to get a dark face and comb on a cock than in a hen, however many European sebrights have exceptionally nice dark combs and faces.
Mulberry or gypsy is the desciption of color in the ABA Standard-reddish/purplish, but it is different from the dark skin of say, a silkie, because sebrights only have the darkness in their head and face area, not all over the body dark skin.

I have had several hens that crow throughout the years and it doesn't seem to affect their egg laying abilities at all, so i think it may be a behavioral breed (or strain) trait.

These are my 4-5 wk old golden sebrights, can anyone confirm their sex? I think the one on the left is def a pullet but the one on the right recently had an growth in "her" comb so now I am on the fence... I have a silver the same age that has a much larger comb and is already trying his hand at crowing, he sounds hyterical!! My 6 yr old heard him the other morning and said "what in the world is that, sounds like something is dying in there!" LOL

In reply to Silseb: "You live in the middle of Sebright Country! the best Sebright breeders in the country live in Alabama and Georgia! Seriously, if you ever want show bantams PM me and i will tell you how to get ahold of them. Also, They may have some stock that is not quite up to their exceptional show standards that could go for your pet collection, i don't know." (replying to a specific post is malfunctioning in Google Chrome)

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I've been reading through this entire thread...my Ideal hatchery Silver Sebrights arrived two weeks ago, and I'm happy with them. A couple (out of ten total) even have decent lacing on their first feathers. I just wanted some SS's to lay tiny eggs and look pretty in the yard. I also don't want any more LF roos! I hope these hatchery chicks won't be too oversized, as the idea was that any Sebright roos' flogging would be more cute than painful. On the other hand, the hatchery Sebrights should lay better and perhaps take our cold winters a little better with a larger stature.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]But...it just figures, Silseb: [/FONT]I had no idea there were some top SS breeders in Georgia...we take a road trip to Georgia early each March!! I've been looking (off and on) for a nice trio or hatching eggs from SQ/BQ Modern Games or Silver Sebrights for a couple years. Some of the adult bird prices are a bit higher than I expected, and I decided against a MG trio shipped from California last fall after communication broke down with the breeder. I finally just decided to order Ideal's Silver Sebrights in a window of nice weather after our cold spring in Northern IL--mostly because I could have a small number shipped without packing peanuts. I will probably never show beyond the local county fair, but I'll keep Georgia in mind for options in the future if I get the urge to breed seriously.

My Little Gold hen won "Best of Variety" and "Best of Breed" in RI this past weekend!!! I'm so proud of my little lady:) Now I just need to find a nice roo and another hen or 2...SOOOo hard to find this breed anywhere around me:(

These are my 4-5 wk old golden sebrights, can anyone confirm their sex? I think the one on the left is def a pullet but the one on the right recently had an growth in "her" comb so now I am on the fence... I have a silver the same age that has a much larger comb and is already trying his hand at crowing, he sounds hyterical!! My 6 yr old heard him the other morning and said "what in the world is that, sounds like something is dying in there!" LOL

Yes you are right. girl left, boy right. Might be wrong but thats my opinion. This is the age to ABA band them if you are going to do that.

My Little Gold hen won "Best of Variety" and "Best of Breed" in RI this past weekend!!! I'm so proud of my little lady:) Now I just need to find a nice roo and another hen or 2...SOOOo hard to find this breed anywhere around me:(

Congrats! I am not surprised at all- she looks awesome. You should take her to columbus in the fall.

Back
Top Bottom