sebright thread

Pics
Hmm... well it definitely has me stumped haha. The only thing I can tell you is that the single comb is recessive to the rose comb. I think your best bet is to find out which hatchery TSC ordered from and then call the hatchery to ask them. Otherwise, you have some million dollar Sebrights! lol
I've always wanted to be a millionaire.
lol.png
I will ask TSC and find out. I will keep you guys posted on what happens. This has me stumped to, I just can't figure it out.

pop.gif
In the meantime, does anybody want to offer me a million dollars for my sex linked sebright pair?
gig.gif

Hello Sebright enthusiasts! I recently found myself the owner of two sebrights. They were seized from a home were they were not being cared for well. Along with a lot of cats and dogs. These two must have been recently acquired as they are not in nearly the condition the other chickens taken from the property were in. Anyway I have mostly LF breeds (one bantam EE and Cochin) and have no point of reference as to discerning their age or sex. I have tried to post pic with this but am having technical difficulties. I was able to post the pics in another thread
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/12049/ohio-come-on-buckeyes-let-me-know-your-out-there/4080
They are very shy. They rarely leave the coop. They are eating and drinking, I have not seen them dust bath or forage at all. My chickens have a coop and closed run but are allowed out to free range during the day. If you can offer any advice about this breed or some signs of age or sex it would be helpful. They have been here for a week and a half and I don't know how else to help them. The poor little things seem terrified of the big girls although all of them (excluding the Wicked Barred Rock) have been on their best behavior.
I am treating their internal and external parasites with wood ash, DE, ivomec, ACV, garlic, and yogurt. I have offered fresh fruit and vegetables but they don't seem to know what to make of it. Any treats Sebrights seem to like particularly? I am making the assumption they are more like my other chickens than different. Any advice?

From the pictures on the other thread, they are both hens. If you could get some new pictures that would help though.

Personally, I wouldn't be giving them all of those things at the same time. For one, these different compounds could deactivate each other and render them useless. It's also very stressful on them. I would continue with the Ivomec, and once that's complete start the therapy with ACV, garlic, and yogurt.

I know what you mean about the treats and dust bathing. Maybe try some cracked corn, mine go nuts over the stuff. Just give them time to get used to their surroundings.

Oh and welcome to the thread!
big_smile.png
frow.gif

Last edited:
Okay thank you excluding the ivomec I always do the rest for my chickens it didn't occur to me that it may be counter productive. I will cut it back. I really appreciate the help and will get some more pics ASAP. Is the lack of feathers on the abdomen something you have seen before? Also I know the stress they have endured means they won't lay anytime soon but I want to be prepared in case they have difficulty. Is difficulty in egg laying common in seabright? They lay about an egg a week I believe. Is that right? Again thank you for your help everyone.

Okay thank you excluding the ivomec I always do the rest for my chickens it didn't occur to me that it may be counter productive. I will cut it back. I really appreciate the help and will get some more pics ASAP. Is the lack of feathers on the abdomen something you have seen before? Also I know the stress they have endured means they won't lay anytime soon but I want to be prepared in case they have difficulty. Is difficulty in egg laying common in seabright? They lay about an egg a week I believe. Is that right? Again thank you for your help everyone.

Your right with about an egg a day IF they are of show stock. That's usually the case. Hatchery(lower quality) usually lay more than that. I had a silver that was laying every other day. The bare stomach could either be because of obvious stress or what I'm thinking is that it's because they were broody. I wasn't able to read about the med's you were using but if they lasted a few days and seem fine they will likely pull through for you:)

Last edited:
I bought them from TSC. I'm not sure what hatchery they got them from.

Here is the rooster (He has a single comb)

The hen. (Rose Comb)

One of their offspring was a boy and ended up with a rose comb like his mom. Like I said before, these two chickens (above) produce sex linked offspring as well.
I was always told that a 'Bright with a straight comb wasn't truebred. What's the story on that?

Also, at Wren Flea Market, last month, I saw a Golden roo with a BB Red's neck coloring and another Golden roo that was every bit as large as my standard Amaracaunas. It was perfect in all aspects, it was just very, VERY large. I passed on the BB Red one (tho it was beautiful, I could do that with my BB Reds, if I wanted to, I guess.), and the other was NOT for sale, according to the man who had it. Is there a reason to desire these non-standard birds? Everyone at the Trade Day was looking at these birds, oddly, and I heard a few remarks about "junk birds", but they were actually very attractive. I made an offer for that huge one just to breed to some of my other hens. I can't imagine how aggressive he is as my teeny lil normal 'Bright roos are complete and total terrors! hehe They attack me every feeding and watering time, and I try to tame them, just like my other birds. Nothing going, there. My 'Bright hens want petted and hop onto my hand just like my OEGB Roos and hens do, but not the 'Bright roos. They are the HE-men of the flock, I guess.

Only new here and I thought I would share my Sebrights.I have a pair of silver with the hen now sitting on a dozen eggs and a pair of golds.The gold pullet is fairly young so she still has some developing to do

Only new here and I thought I would share my Sebrights.I have a pair of silver with the hen now sitting on a dozen eggs and a pair of golds.The gold pullet is fairly young so she still has some developing to do

Wow the lacing is really nice on the silver hen and the golds, It's hard to see their postures though with the angle of the pics. They definitely have potential!:) Congrats on that find

Back
Top Bottom