sebright thread

Pics
I knew that Lord Sebright developed the birds but I did not know about his theories that inspired Darwin! Really interesting!!!

One correction here. Darwin did not come up with the theory of Natural Selection. Natural selection is an easily observable fact of nature that has been known since recorded history. Darwin came up with the theory of Macro Evolution and used the law of natural selection as supportive evidence for his theory. Unfortunately, Natural selection cannot be used in the manner that Darwin applied it because natural selection is a lossy process, which results in the loss of genetic information and variables, not the acquisition of new genetic information, the latter of which would be necessary for Darwin's theory of Macro Evolution to work.

Last edited:
I've been away for some time and I came back to find this loaded thread on what just mite be my favorite breed
wee.gif
and I have nothing better to do so I'm browsing all the post, made it to page 25. Lol.

Anyhow I was wondering if anyone has noticed that their Seabrights buddy up to other individual's more then other breeds?
I only had a few in the past, I had some slivers and some goldens, but I could never get a pair that wanted anything to do with each other. Even when penned just in pairs.
One tiny shy golden hen took to a Cochin roo I had.
And Red my "evil" pet golden Seabright roo loved Ducky, who was none other then a duck. He would not roost with the chickens, would not try to cover any hens. Only the ducks, but Ducky was his girl. Red would also flog people, and ride on my shoulder. I'm not sure if he ever liked me, I think maybe he just liked being up that high. I also remember him hanging around the chicks, but after they got so big he would go back to his ducks....such a strange bird.

One correction here. Darwin did not come up with the theory of Natural Selection. Natural selection is an easily observable fact of nature that has been known since recorded history. Darwin came up with the theory of Macro Evolution and used the law of natural selection as supportive evidence for his theory. Unfortunately, Natural selection cannot be used in the manner that Darwin applied it because natural selection is a lossy process, which results in the loss of genetic information and variables, not the acquisition of new genetic information, the latter of which would be necessary for Darwin's theory of Macro Evolution to work.
Egg-zactly! Darwin gets credit, but I read a report that stated that Darwin asked Lord Sebright to "come and speak to my students and I about your theories", and that was what I was referring to. Darwin always gets credit for "creating" the theory. I believe that he is simply the one who first noted it and named it, perhaps. I was writing a speech for a class in college and noted that a German explorer was listed as being the "discoverer" of the 3rd or 4th ltallest waterfall on Earth. He discovered it on the Ecuadorian/Peruvian Frontiereza in 1995. I stood at the top of it, in August of 1987, and have pictures of it. It all depends on who claims credit.

Hmm... well it definitely has me stumped haha. The only thing I can tell you is that the single comb is recessive to the rose comb. I think your best bet is to find out which hatchery TSC ordered from and then call the hatchery to ask them. Otherwise, you have some million dollar Sebrights! lol
I figured out what hatchery my birds came from and I emailed them several weeks ago. I never got a reply.

With that said, I am thinking of starting a breeding project with them this year. Is this something anybody would be interested in (sex linked golden sebrights)?

syzavumy.jpg
Hi guys. I have a question. I'm new to sebrights. My girl on the left is a golden laced Sebright. Any idea what the girl on the right is?? Maybe a Sebright cross? I bought them from rural king this spring and they came from townline hatchery.

Back
Top Bottom