sebright thread

Hello! I recently (two weeks ago) rescued 4 d'Uccles and what I believe to be 2 golden sebrights from the TSC bantam bin where they were overcrowded and, it turns out, dying from the most severe cases of pasty butt. The one little sebright did not seem like (s)he was going to make it for a few days, but thankfully pulled through. I've never had sebrights so I have a few questions if you don't mind. They're very small, so are they cold hardy at all? They look even smaller than d'Uccles, who I know can handle the cold fairly well. My coop is very secure from wind but not heated. I seem to read a lot suggesting that they are not the friendliest of birds. I am not so concerned with how they would interact with me, but rather with the rest of my flock, who are all pretty docile breeds. Will being raised with d'Uccles and eventually silkies help, or will they bully them? I cannot fully free range, will this cause them to be even more cranky? (I have a big covered run, and am building a tractor for them this summer and possibly some chicken tunnels throughout the yard/garden.) Also, at what age can you start guessing sex? I assume the easiest way to tell is their comb, at what age do the cockerels start getting pink/red? Don't worry, if there is not a way to easily merge them with my flock I will find them another happy home. This is Claude. She is bigger than Nigel, but Nigel was the one who was so poorly when I got them and I no longer trust size in chicks that had health issues. I think they're about 3 weeks old? This is wee Nigel. Thank you so much to anyone who read through all that!
I love my Sebright! Thank you so much for taking these little ones under your wing! My Sebright doesn't like to be held or petted, but if you sit down she will come up and talk your ear off! And she wants to know what you are doing all the time! She does well in our mixed flock.... I am hoping for a couple Sebrights to add too. I really like this breed... They are sweet, sassy and have such great big personalities! Hens will occasionally crow, at least mine does... But we knew at a fee weeks old that Moneypenny was a girl :) she's done well even in the cold, though she tended to stay in the coop if it was really cold out... And in the hay outside so her little toes didn't get too cold. But she is a trooper! Love her!

Thank you for answering everyone! I feel much better about them possibly being able to get along with the others now.

Is it common for the hens to crow? That's so interesting, I've only heard of older, dominant hens crowing before.

Thank you for answering everyone! I feel much better about them possibly being able to get along with the others now.

Is it common for the hens to crow? That's so interesting, I've only heard of older, dominant hens crowing before.

I don't know if it's common for the hens to crow... But mine will on occasion... Started just before she started laying ... She was about 6 months old when she started laying... And she goes broody too... Which isn't usual for this breed... We call her the "crazy little chicken" :)

The livestock conservancy has some great information on the background of the breed. They are, I think, threatened, on the list. I would recommend researching through the livestock conservancy ...

Looking froward to updates on the ones you have!

About half of my hens have been observed crowing on one occasion of another. Not very often,but enough to be considered an unusual breed trait i believe.

The crazy little chicken (and I mean that with all the love in the world for her!!!) is broody again :) this time I have fertile eggs for her to sit on... My question to you all Sebright peeps.... What is your experience with Sebrights as broody hens then a mama hens... Thanks so much!

My Sally Seabright is a wonderful mother. I have the scars to prove it. LOL. Just joking about the scars, but she is a fiercely protective mother. When she went broody I gave her Silkie eggs and she was still mothering them when they were twice her size. She taught them to roost which is funny for Silkie. I love her so much I went to a show and came home with a trio. To keep her company.

The new roo.

i am wanting a few more to keep mine company too! she is "on and off" the fertile egg i gave to her to sit on... i'm not sure if i should leave it or pull it and break her. she's a sweet broody so i was really hoping by giving her an egg that she would be a good sitter and mama hen! not sure what to do! crazy little chicken!!! but i love her so much!!

Hi! I believe that Nigel and Claude are about 5 weeks old now and I was wondering what you guys thought about them?

Claude:

Nigel:

I suspect that Nigel, at least, is a wee cockerel. I'm sure that those who have raised them before have a better idea though, so I thought I would ask? Thanks!

Hi! I have a silver sebright myself and I just love the patterns and the colors. Your sebright chickens have beautiful feathers and colors.

Last edited:
Hi! I believe that Nigel and Claude are about 5 weeks old now and I was wondering what you guys thought about them?

Claude:

Nigel:

I suspect that Nigel, at least, is a wee cockerel. I'm sure that those who have raised them before have a better idea though, so I thought I would ask? Thanks!
Think you are right about Nigel...rooster through and through. Claude however may very well be Claudine. Hard to tell from just pictures at this age but based on their comb development for 5 weeks that would be my guess.

Back
Top Bottom